Chinese name:
Jiading District / Shanghai
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Qingpu Brainwashing Center
Case Description:

( Mr. Ma Dongquan from the Jiading District in Shanghai died on December 13, 2013 as a result of long term persecution.

Mr. Ma; his wife, Ms. Jin Runfang; and their son, Mr. Ma Guobiao, all Falun Gong practitioners, were arrested, detained, and sentenced after the Chinese regime began persecuting Falun Gong in 1999.

The three were arrested in their home by the local police on February 22, 2008. Along with more than a dozen other practitioners, they had been watching the New Tang Dynasty Television's New Year Performance.

During his eight months of detention, Mr. Ma developed a serious illness. At some point he couldn't even walk, but the guards in the detention center didn't take him to the hospital. He was sentenced to three years in prison and put on probation for four years. His son, Mr. Ma Guobiao, was sentenced to six years in prison. His wife, Ms. Jin Runfang, was sentenced to four years. Mr. Ma's wife and son are still incarcerated.

Mr. Ma Dongquan was monitored by local officials from the Political and Legal Affairs Committee, the 610 Office, and the residential office while he was on probation at home. No one could help him because he was so closely monitored. He was taken to the Qingpu Brainwashing Center on August 4, 2009.

During the opening ceremony of the World Expo in 2010, Mr. Ma Dongquan was ordered to stay in the local residential office from April 30 until May 4 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. He was not even allowed to go home to eat. He also had to work for them every week and write “thought reports.” The police require practitioners to write down their thoughts to determine if the practitioner is still steadfast in practicing Falun Gong.

Mr. Ma was in a car crash in the spring of 2011. He was taken to the hospital for surgery and then went missing afterwards. In 2013, he became bedridden as a result of the stress he endured during the persecution. He died on December 13, 2013.

Mr. Ma used to live at Jiafufang No. 11, Tongchuan Road in the Jiading District, Shanghai. He was detained in a forced labor camp for two years.

Related articles:|Mr. Ma Dongquan from Shanghai Persecuted to Death