Chinese name:
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Siping Detention Center
Case Description:

( Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Liang Xiaoguang was illegally arrested and sentenced to prison six years ago. On November 23, 2012, her family suddenly received a notification from Siping Detention Center in Liaoning Province, claiming that she had died from “lung cancer” and her body had already been taken to the crematory.

On July 3, 2013, Wang Haibo, deputy director of Siping Detention Center visited her husband (again) and demanded that he sign the cremation notification (Ms. Liang's body would be cremated within 15 days, regardless of her family's consent). Feeling helpless and in an extremely traumatized physical and mental state, her husband acquiesced and signed the notification.

Taken Illegally to Forced Labor Camp Twice before Dying in Siping Detention Center

Ms. Liang had been sentenced to forced labor twice before. The first time, she was taken to Heizuizi Labor Camp in Changchun on December 29, 2000, where she was detained till March 23, 2002. The second time, she was arrested by local police station officers in Changchun while distributing truth-clarification materials in November 2006, and was later taken to the same labor camp where she was detained until June 30, 2008.

On May 26, 2012, Ms. Liang was arrested again by officers who used the door key they'd taken from previously; they entered her house without the knowledge of her family members. They searched and ransacked her home for three hours, then confiscated over forty copies of Falun Dafa books, two MP3 players and other personal belongings. The police also interrogated her husband and younger brother, to find out if they also practiced Falun Gong.

Ms Liang was taken to Siping Detention Center. She was denied family visitation rights nor allowed to receive any daily necessities sent by her family. Her family members called periodically to ask about her condition, and were always told: “She is very well.”

The Siping Court sentenced Ms. Liang to six years in prison without notifying her family. Ms. Liang refused to acknowledge the illegal sentence and also refused to sign court documents. She announced her intention to appeal the unlawful sentence.

A representative from the detention center visited her home at approximately 4:00 p.m. on November 23, 2012, and informed her family that she'd already been taken to the crematory, having “died from lung cancer” after she was taken to the Siping No. 1 Hospital for treatment four days earlier.

Her family challenged the representative as to why they weren't notified earlier. The detention center staff claimed that they couldn't find her family members.

The Procuratorate's Office: “We're Responsible Only to the Procurator, Not You”

On the morning of November 24, Shi Shangmin, deputy leader of the supervision team of Siping Police Department and Xu Fu, deputy head of the detention center came to Ms. Liang's home, and announced to her family that she'd died from an illness, and that it was quite normal. They would handle the matter in accordance with the relevant regulations stipulated by the Supreme People's Procuratorate of the PRC, Ministry of Public Security and Ministry of Civil Affairs. They also asked her family members if they wanted to conduct an autopsy, otherwise, they would cremate the body within 15 days. On November 26, they showed Ms Liang's family her case study of the illness and diagnosis, as well as a copy of a medical examination, attempting to prove that Ms. Liang was healthy when she was admitted to the labor camp.

This case is representative of the CCP's typical criminal and corrupt practice: Torture someone to death, notify his/her family that the victim “committed suicide”, “died from a heart attack” or some other fabricated story, followed by cremation to eliminate all evidence.

According to hospital staff, Ms. Liang was admitted on the afternoon of November 21. Following a pathology test the next day, hospital staff told the detention center to notify her family of her critical condition. The same request was made again on November 23. Ms. Liang died around 2:00 p.m. the next day (less than 48 hours after she was taken to the hospital). Her family believes that Siping Detention Center is responsible for her death and has appealed to the Procurator's Office of Siping City.

Zhang Wei and Chen Rong from the Supervision Department of Siping Procurator's Office agreed with the verdict given by the detention center. Liu Fu, director of the Supervision Department of the Procurator's Office said to her family, “I'm only responsible to the Procurator, not you.” Ms. Liang's family argued that, according to regulations by the Supreme People's Procuratorate of the PRC, Ministry of Public Security and Ministry of Civil Affairs, the Procurator's Office is obliged to provide written expert testimony. Liu demanded that they show him the relevant regulations, but even after Ms. Liang's family showed him the relevant regulations, Liu Fu refused to meet with them and claimed that he was away on business.

Ms Liang's husband has suffered from two serious gastric hemorrhages of the stomach due to enormous stress, and was hospitalized once for emergency treatment.

We hope that people who believe in justice, either inside or outside China, may provide some legal advice to Ms. Liang's family, and that family members and relatives of all Falun Gong practitioners incarcerated in China take legal action against the perpetrators and track down these criminals. An eye for an eye, those responsible must be brought to justice.

Contact information for personnel and organizations responsible for this persecution:

Shi Shangmin: 13804340008

Wang Haibo (detention center): 13644449257 (the last number might be 9)

Xu Fu (detention center): 15944444157

Names on the judgment against Ms. Liang by Tiexi Court: Presiding Judge: Liu Tianshu; judicial officers: Zhou Yanhong, Gao Jihong

Related articles:|Ms. Liang Xiaoguang Dies in Siping Detention Center