Chinese name:
Lile Township/ Xinhui District/ Jiangmen City
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Yanjiang Prison, Guangdong Province
Case Description:

( Seventy-year-old Mr. Ou Jinchu couldn't move his hands, feet, or even his body when he was released from Yangjiang Prison. He was emaciated, incontinent, bedridden, and couldn't stop shaking. He said that his condition was due to brutal beatings he had received at the prison.

After four years of imprisonment, Mr. Ou had developed many illnesses, including brain atrophy, stomach problems, high blood pressure, and Parkinson's disease. He became extremely ill between October and November, 2011, and was close to death when the authorities sent him home in order to prevent him from dying in custody. Mr. Ou passed away on March 29, 2013.

His wife, Ms. Xu Ruilian, is still incarcerated at Guangzhou Women's Prison.

Unlawfully Arrested

Mr. Ou Jinchu and his wife Ms. Xu were reported to the police while distributing informational materials about the persecution of Falun Gong in the Xinhui District on September 2, 2008, along with their three-year-old grandson Ou Junlin.

The elderly couple were arrested by police from the Beimen Police Station and illegally detained at the Beimen Detention Center, where they were forced to do slave labor for more than 10 hours a day and denied visitation rights. The family brought warm clothes for them, but the guards refused to pass them on.

The court officials continuously threatened and intimidated the couple. When Ms. Xu suffered a concussion from the abuse, she had to be taken to a hospital for intensive care. Their three-year-old grandson was kept at an orphanage for a week before he was allowed to return home.

Framed and Sentenced to Eight Years in Prison

Officials at the public security bureau framed Mr. Ou and Ms. Xu, and they were unlawfully charged. On the day of the trial, they were so cold they were shivering, turning blue, and had difficulty speaking. The family was later notified in mid-January 2009 that they had both been sentenced to eight years in prison.

Mr. Ou was taken to Yangjiang Prison and Ms. Xu to Guangdong Women's Prison for further persecution. Their family was not allowed to bring anything except cash when they visited, so the prison commissary could make money off the marked up merchandise.

Related articles:|Mr. Ou Jinchu Beaten in Yangjiang Prison, Then Sent Home to Die