Chinese name:
Cadre / Railway Procuratorate
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Qiqihar Brainwashing Center
Case Description:

( Once employed at the Harbin Railroad Procuratorate, Mr. Liu Wenwei began to practice Falun Gong in 1999. During the past 13 years, he was detained three times, sentenced to three years of forced labor, and taken to a brainwashing center twice. His home was ransacked four times, and he was monitored for a long period of time. He was also re-assigned to a new job at work. On November 11, 2012, at the age of 51, he passed away a few days after he was released from the brainwashing center.

On the morning of the day he passed away, Gao Dayong, an officer from the 610 Office of Harbin Railroad Bureau, still forced his mother to write the Repentance Statement even though his mother does not practice Falun Gong.

Below is what Mr. Liu wrote about the persecution he endured:

Persecuted for Appealing in Beijing

On March 18, 2000, I was on my way to Beijing to appeal for justice for Falun Gong. This is a Constitutional right. However, the security officers of the Harbin Railroad Bureau arrested me on the way and escorted me back to Harbin. While I was detained in the Harbin Railroad Detention Center for 15 days, I was beaten and cursed. After I was released, my employer, Harbin Railroad Procuratorate, put me on probation from March 2000 to December 2000. My freedom was limited and my salary was cut to only 195 yuan per month.

On April 30, 2000, Harbin Railroad Police Department officers came to my workplace and arrested me again "to prevent me from going to Beijing to appeal." I was detained for 13 days and deprived of my salary. I was hung up by my handcuffs continuously for more than 27 hours. I was not allowed to eat, sleep, or go to the restroom. I was also verbally abused non-stop.

Detained for 49 Days for Clarifying the Truth and Brutally Beaten

On October 15, 2000, Nangang Police Department of Harbin arrested me because I clarified the truth to people publicly. I was detained for 49 days, and my employer stopped my salary. On the evening that I was arrested, the director of the Hexing Police Station, along with officers Wang Xiaodong and Zhao Guangcai, ordered others to beat me. They covered my head with a plastic bag. They kicked my chest and fractured my ribs. They tortured me all night long. My arms were covered with bruises. I was in extreme pain. The next day, I was sent to the Nangang Detention Center. At the detention center, the inmates took away my winter clothes. I was beaten and cursed every day. The food was really bad, and I was not allowed to go to the restroom when I need to.

Tortured During Three Years of Forced Labor with the Iron Chair, Sleep Deprivation, and Slave Labor

On January 15, 2001, I was arrested at work after one of my colleagues reported me to the authorities. Sentenced to three years of forced labor, I was sent first to Fuyu Forced Labor Camp and then transferred to Shuanghe Forced Labor Camp in Qiqihar. My employer stopped my salary, bonuses, and all my benefits.

In the summer of 2002, a cement truck ran over me and drove over my legs. My legs were almost disabled. The camp guards arranged for me to sleep between two inmates with scabies on purpose. Later, I caught scabies, which never fully healed on my legs.

In Fuyu Forced Labor Camp, the camp guards and inmates often beat me and cursed me. I was forced to do hard labor work and attend brainwashing sessions. When I tried to stop them from torturing me, they forced me to sit on an iron chair for a week and extended my term for a month. They also forced me to take an unknown drug, from which I had allergic reactions for a week. I was not allowed to use the restroom.

In March of 2003, they tried to “transform” me. They opened the cell window and forced me to sit on an iron chair with bare feet and deprived me of sleep. They did not allow me to report the torture to the prosecutor in the labor camp nor allow my family to visit me. The inhumane treatment I suffered during those three years was beyond description.

On December 28, 2003, I was released.

Re-assigned at Work and Monitored Long-Term

In January 2004, I hoped to return to work. Because I had received no income for the past few years, my family had suffered great hardship. The officials of Harbin Railroad Procuratorate re-assigned me to work at the Harbin Railroad Housing Division.

I disagreed with the new assignment. I consulted the lawyers and courts and was told that there was no such law stating that Falun Gong practitioners could not work in the procuratorate. I had been a hard worker and was rewarded for my work performance in 1998 and 1999.

I was constantly being monitored and harassed while I worked at the Harbin Railroad Housing Division. During the October holidays of 2006, people were assigned to monitor me around my home. My family and I were followed constantly. They threatened me, telling not to leave Harbin. Sometimes, I was afraid of going home. I often woke up in the middle of the night from nightmares.

Arrested and Sent to a Brainwashing Center

On the morning of August 13, 2009, the division chief, Zhang Xibin, reassigned me to a subdivision. When I arrived at the gate, several people pushed me into a police car. I was taken to the Wuchang Brainwashing Center. From August 13 to September 13, 2009, I was brutally tortured in the brainwashing center. Fu Yanchun, Zhu Xianwu, and Jing Ji tortured me by handcuffing me, stretching my arms, punching and kicking me, and forcing me to squat for long periods of time. My kidney was damaged and I urinated blood. My back hurt so much that I had difficulty walking.

When I was released, I was on the brink of a mental breakdown. I was unable to sleep at night and lived in constant fear. My wife often sat by my bedside to look after me and helped me to regain my courage to live. But I was still mentally unstable. The officials at work threatened me and tried to force me to renounce Falun Gong or guarantee not to appeal.

On the morning of October 17, 2012, the officials from the Security Section of my workplace, including section chief Zhu Ziquan, took me to the Qiqihar Brainwashing Center, with the excuse that the 18th National People’s Congress was approaching. The officials at the brainwashing center mentally tortured me every day. Some of them threatened me with electric batons in their hands. It was unbearable, and I wrote the three statements to give up Falun Gong against my will.

On November 5, 2012, I was released from the brainwashing center. However the officers from the Harbin Railroad Bureau 610 Office and local police officers kept monitoring and threatening me. I was unable to live in peach. They also confiscated all of my Falun Gong books and recordings, my MP3/MP5 player, and my computer hard drive. The officials at the brainwashing center told me before I was released that they had installed monitors in my home to monitor me. I felt that I could be taken away at any time and always felt insecure. I was mentally unstable, and my mind easily drifted.

My wife was taken to the brainwashing center around the same time that I was released.

Mr. Liu Wenwei Passed Away

On the morning of November 11, 2012, Mr. Liu passed away six days after his release, at the age of 51.

Mr. Liu loved China very much. He simply followed the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance and wanted to be a good citizen. His family was devastated when he passed away.

Related articles:|Mr. Liu Wenwei, former Harbin Railroad Procuratorate Employee, Persecuted to Death