Chinese name:
commissioner in the police department in Heilongjiang Province
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Case Description:


Mr. Li Dezhong was a commissioner in the police department in Heilongjiang Province. He started practicing Falun Gong in 1996 and followed the principles of Truthfulness-Benevolence-Forbearance to be a good person. After the CCP started the persecution of Falun Gong in July 1999, he was put under house arrest and his house was searched. His liver disease recurred and he died at the end of January 2000 at the age of 49.

Cured of Hepatitis B and Regarded as an Incorruptible Police Official

Mr. Li had served in the military for 17 years. In 1984, he was transferred to civilian work and was offered a job in the Heilongjiang Province Police Department. In 1996, he became the commissioner of police.

In 1996, he borrowed and read the book Zhuan Falun during a business trip while traveling on the train. He went to a practice site and started to practice Falun Gong and later became the site assistant.

Through practicing Falun Gong, he was cured of Hepatitis B. He took fame and personal interest lightly. He shared a small office until 1999 when his manager gave him his own office.

Mr. Li was in charge of police appraisals and awards in the Heilongjiang Police Department. He held himself to strict standards and refused to accept any gifts. When one police branch sent him a gift of gold, he returned it. They sent to him again, and again he sent it back. On the third try, he simply sealed it in an envelope and put “confidential” on it and returned it. On another occasion, someone in charge of a project came to his home with a gift, but he simply refused to open the door.

Home Searched, Under House Arrest, and Deprived of Sleep

On July 20, 1999, the CCP started to persecute Falun Gong. That same night, the police searched the home of Mr. Li Dezhong and his father-in-law. They put Mr. Li under house arrest. His supervisor pressured him to give up his belief, deprived him of sleep and forced him to watch TV programs that slandered Falun Gong 24 hours a day. He was threatened by the armed police at gun point. A member of the 610 Office, who was formerly his friend, threatened him, saying, “I can beat you to death.” After 13 days of this, Mr. Li was stressed mentally and physically. His liver started to give him problems. He was allowed to return home, but he was suspended from his job. At that time, Chen Yongcai, head of Heilongjiang Police Department, informed him in person that, if he gave up Falun Gong, he could have his job back. Mr. Li answered, “Falun Gong gives me a healthy body and teaches me to be a good person. Since the Communist Party does not allow its members to practice Falun Gong, I am disqualified and can withdraw from the Party.”

On the last day of January 2000, Mr. Li Dezhong passed away. The CCP persecution had taken away the life of a good person.

Related articles:|The Persecution of Former Police Commissioner Mr. Li Dezhong