Chinese name:
Military for Civil Construction
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Brainwashing Center at the Production and Construction Legion in Xinjiang Autonomous Region
Case Description:

( A 76-year-old Falun Gong practitioner, Ms. Fang Qiuju, was arrested at the Production and Construction Legion in Xinjiang Autonomous Region and taken to the legion's brainwashing center in September 2011. She was later taken to the Yili Military Zone Hospital for an operation and died the day after her surgery.

The 610 Office at the Production and Construction Legion in Xinjiang Autonomous Region frequently conducted brainwashing sessions to persecute Falun Gong practitioners. Ms. Fang was forcibly taken to the brainwashing center on September 26, 2011. In mid-October she was released ahead of schedule due to poor health. Her employer made her to go to the clinic for a physical. After the exam she was told she had many health problems and was hospitalized at the Yili Military Zone Hospital, where the doctor said she had to undergo abdominal surgery in order to cure her.

Early in the morning on October 4, 2011, Ms. Fang was wheeled into surgery. At about 11:30 a.m., her family waiting at the door saw three plainclothes police go into the operating room through a back door. Her family thought that something was not right and tried to enter the operating room, but the nurses would not let them in.

At about noon, the head of the 610 Office showed up. Eventually the physician came out wearing blood soaked gloves and claimed that Ms. Fang's internal organs had failed and that there was nothing more they could do. At about 4 p.m. Ms. Fang was wheeled out of the operating room.

That night she had a fever of 39 Celsius degrees. After being given anti-inflammatory drugs all night, at 7 a.m. the next morning her temperature was 40 degrees Celsius and she went into a coma. She was injected with another kind of anti-inflammatory drug. At noon her body temperature was 41 degrees and that night it was 42 degrees.

At 1:20 a.m. on October 6, 2011, Ms. Fang passed away. Her family members have always felt that there were many suspicious points regarding her death, but they hadn't contacted the outside world for the past year so no one else has known about it.

Related articles:|76-Year-Old Woman Arrested, Dies after Unscheduled Surgery