Chinese name:
Employee/ Former Hefei Mining Electrical Plant
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Suzhou Prison in Anhui Province
Case Description:

( Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Ji Guangjie from Hefei City, Anhui Province was arrested by personnel from Hefei Domestic Security Team and Police Department at a truth-clarification materials production site in July 2003. Then he was illegally sentenced to seven years in prison and detained at Suzhou Prison. During his detention, he suffered cruel torture. As a result, his blood pressure was up to 260 and remained high, and he faced the danger of death at any time. However, the authorities at the prison not only did not release him, but also did not allow him to meet with his family. Moreover, they did not release him on medical parole. In June 2009, Mr. Ji suddenly collapsed due to intra-cerebral hemorrhage. Guards from the prison worried that Mr. Ji would die in prison; so they had to notify Mr. Ji's family to take him back home the next day. At that time, Mr. Ji was bedridden and in very critical condition. He was unable to fully recover after his release and on the morning of June 3, 2012 Mr. Ji Guangjie passed away.

Mr. Ji Guangjie

In 1999, the Chinese authorities started persecuting Falun Gong. Mr. Ji went to the provincial government and Beijing to appeal for justice for Falun Gong many times. As a result, he was arrested by personnel from the Yaohai District 610 Office in Hefei City and was once detained in a detention center and sentenced to forced labor twice.

In 2000 he went to Beijing to appeal. As a result, he was arrested, and then personnel from Hefei 610 Office sent him to the Nanhu Forced Labor Camp. The environment at the labor camp was very tough. His whole body was covered with scabies, and his hands became rotten. However, they still forced him to work in the fields to fertilize the crops. The fertilizer covered his festered hands all day, causing him extreme pain.

During the period of Mr. Ji’s detention in 2001, personnel from Zhuhai District 610 Office instigated the leaders in his work unit to dismiss him, resulting in a difficult financial condition for him.

In January 2002, Falun Gong practitioners went to the Anhui Provincial Women's Forced Labor Camp to visit and rescue the detained fellow practitioners. As a result, Mr. Ji was arrested by officers from Shushan District Police Station and sentenced to two years of forced labor. As a result of the rescue efforts of Mr. Ji’s family and other fellow practitioners, he was released within a few months.

In order to have people understand the truth about Falun Gong, Mr. Ji began to make and deliver truth-clarification materials. When he went to the truth-clarification materials production site in July 2003 he was arrested by personnel from the Domestic Security Team. They interrogated and tortured him and deprived him of sleep for three days, around the clock.

Torture Reenactment: Both Hands Handcuffed to the Chair Behind the Back

Then Mr. Ji was held in the Hefei Detention Center for a year and three months. During that period, he was forced to do slave labor, only being allowed to sleep for two hours at night. Sometimes he was forced to work all night and was not allowed to sleep. As a result, one month later he became extremely thin.

On July 30, 2004 the Baohe District Court illegally sentenced Mr. Ji to seven years in prison. In November of the same year he was sent to Suzhou Prison. When he was taken to the prison, his blood pressure was as high as 230/170.

According to Mr. Ji’s description, in prison he was monitored by two criminals every day. And the guard often took him to draw his blood and forced him to take a variety of unknown drugs. Once the guard instigated several criminals to hold him and pinched his neck to force-fed him drug(s), making him almost choke to death. Mr. Ji’s blood pressure increased to more than 260 and remained high.

In June 2009, Mr. Ji suddenly collapsed with an intra-cerebral hemorrhage in prison. He lost consciousness and became incontinent. In addition, his left eye became blind. The guards worried that he would die in prison, so they had to notify his family to take him home the next day.

For nearly three years after Mr. Ji returned home, his physical condition continued to be very poor. He had frequent headaches and dizziness and felt pain in each joint.

Mr. Ji Guangjie’s wife, Zhang Lanping, is also a practitioner. She was repeatedly arrested and detained in the forced labor camp and in prison. During the 13 years of the persecution of Falun Gong, their family was together for only three years. Their son stayed at home alone. He had to go to school and then went to the prison and camp to bring clothes to his parents. Sometimes when he went to the prison where his parents were detained, the guards did not let him see his parents.

Mr. Ji’s home was ransacked several times, which scared his son and made him unwilling to stay at home. One time officers from the Wuhulu Police Station broke into Mr. Ji’s home. They ruined two doors and went into the house to search it, but they found nothing and then took away the tool light. After that they took locksmiths along with them to directly unlock the door to break into the house.

Related articles:|Persecution Account of Mr. Ji Guangjie from Hefei City, Anhui Province Before His Death