Chinese name:
Sha County/ Saming City
Architecture Designer/Sha County Architecture Design Institution
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Minxi Prison
Case Description:

( Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Yue Shengzhu, 38, an architect from the Sha County Architecture Design Institution in Sanming City, Fujian Province, died on May 3, 2012, after facing long-term abuse in a forced labor camp. His wife, Ms. Yue Mudi, was sentenced to five years in prison and is still illegally detained.

Mr. Yue began practicing Falun Gong in 1998. Even after the large-scale persecution began in 1999, he held firm to his belief. In 2000, he went to Beijing to clarify the facts, but his doing so resulted in agents of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) frequently harassing him at home. In 2001, Mr. Yue and a few other practitioners distributed tens of thousands of Falun Gong informational pamphlets in Sanming City; he was then arrested and sentenced to five years of forced labor.

On May 4, 2003, when Mr. Yue was detained at the Integrated Team of the Second Division in Minxi Prison, he was beaten by a deputy instructor and another official, and he went on a hunger strike for about a week in protest. However, every day during his hunger strike, he was sent to a hospital to be force-fed. Later, Mr. Yue and other imprisoned practitioners went on hunger strikes and refused to perform hard labor; they demanded to be released. The guards then beat and injured Mr. Yue, and took him to a hospital, where he was held for more than two months. At the hospital, he continued his hunger strike, but he was still force-fed every day.

Mr. Yue remained on a hunger strike in prison to resist the persecution. When he was released in 2005, he was extremely emaciated.

On New Year's Day of 2008, Mr. Yue and his wife, Ms. Yue, were reported and arrested for clarifying the facts. Mr. Yue was sentenced to three years in a forced labor camp, and Ms. Yue was sentenced to five years in prison. She is still illegally imprisoned in Fujian Province Women's Prison.

In the labor camp, Mr. Yue held firm to his belief and often loudly stated, “Falun Dafa is good,” which caused the guards to abuse him even more. The guards also prevented his family from visiting him. Even after he was diagnosed with a serious disease in the beginning of 2009, the prison refused to release him. On July 23, 2009, and only after Mr. Yue was too weak to move on his own, the labor camp informed Mr. Yue's family that they could finally take him home.

Photo Mr. Yue, emaciated, after was released from Minxi Prison.

Mr. Yue's lower feet and legs were severely swollen.

After being released, Mr. Yue attempted to resume practicing Falun Gong. However, the years of physical and mental abuse were too much for him to recover from, and he passed away around 8:00 p.m. on May 3, 2012.

Related articles:|Architect Mr. Yue Shengzhu from Sha County, Fujian Province, Dies Due to Persecution