Chinese name:
Suzhou City
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Shangfangshan Brainwashing Center
Case Description:

In October 1998, Ms. Zhou Yun, who was 65 years old that year, started to practice Falun Gong. Before she started to practice, she suffered from strokes. After a period of studying the Fa and practicing the exercises, she could walk normally and started to live a normal life. She followed the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance and her health continued to improve.

The CCP launched the persecution of Falun Gong on July 20, 1999. In spite of many difficulties, in March 2001, Ms. Zhou went to Beijing. She wanted to appeal for Falun Gong and tell the government that Falun Dafa is good. However, she was remanded to Suzhou and detained in the Loumen Police Station in the Pingjiang District in Suzhou for three days.

In June 2002, Gu Liqun, He Xiaodi, and others from the Suzhou 610 Office started a closed-door brainwashing center in Shangfangshan, Suzhou City. Liu Shuangxiong from the Politics and Security Section of the Pingjiang Police Department and officers from the Loumen Police Station took Ms. Zhou to the center. They pressured her to give up practicing Falun Gong day and night. Four days later, Ms. Zhou's blood pressure shot up, and her old illness returned. The brainwashing center then sent her home. At home, Ms. Zhou studied the Fa and practiced the exercises and her heath was gradually restored. During that period, personnel from the police station and the community committee continued to harass her and monitor her movements.

In November 2004, Ms. Zhou, who was 70 by then, was taken to the Shangfangshan Brainwashing Center again. She was not allowed to sleep for a long time. Subjected to high pressure brainwashing, Ms. Zhou broke down physically and mentally. She suffered incontinence and fell into a coma. The authorities then sent her home. When Ms. Zhou was carried to her doorway, many neighbors saw the state she was in. Ms. Zhou's son refused to let his mother be carried into their home in that way. He demanded, “My mother was fine when you took her away. Now she comes back in such a bad condition. Why don't you take her to the hospital?” So the authorities quickly rushed Ms. Zhou to a nearby hospital.

Because of the repeated incidents of persecution, Ms. Zhou Yun was tortured and injured both physically and mentally. She finally passed away in August 2008.