Chinese name:
Retired worker/ Oil Refinery Factory of China Petroleum and Chemical Corporation
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Jilin City Detention Center
Case Description:

( Practitioner Yu Quan from Jilin passed away after being abused and tortured by policemen from the Domestic Security Department of Jilin, on December 11, 2010. She was still handcuffed to her bed by policemen as she died. On the day Ms. Yu passed away, policemen from the Domestic Security Department of Jilin went to her home to threaten her family.

Ms. Yu started practicing Falun Dafa before July 20, 1999. Her illnesses were cured once she started practicing, and her family lived in harmony.

In July 1999, the CCP started to persecute Falun Gong. Ms. Yu went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong in October 2004. While there, she was arrested and sent to a detention center in Beijing. Because of the punishment received there, her entire body was in unbearable pain, and she had contracted tuberculosis. She was sent to Gongan Hospital for 220 days. To protect her employer and family from the CCP, Ms. Yu refused to give her name and address during her ordeal, and she was tortured severely for that refusal. She was injected with unknown drugs at Gongan Hospital, which resulted in permanent damage to her vision. The 2,000 yuan she had was extorted from her. Policemen eventually were afraid that she might die there, so they drove her from Beijing to Shenyang, and left her on the street without any money. Some kind-hearted people helped her contact her family, and she was taken home.

On April 25, 2009, Ms. Yu was arrested at her home by policemen from the 610 office of Jilin, Domestic Security Department Branch Office and the Zhanqian Police Station of Jilin. She was detained at the Zhanqian Police Station and later moved to the Jilin Detention Center.

After Ms. Yu disappeared from home, her family went looking for her. They eventually found her after they went to the Middle Court of Jilin. On February 22, 2010, her family, including her son and 93-year-old mother, met Ms. Yu at the courthouse. Ms. Yu's son told his mother, “Even though I do not practice Falun Gong, I know you are a good person. There are many lawyers who defend Falun Gong practitioners nowadays. I will find a lawyer for you!”

Ms. Yu firmly believes that it is legal to practice Falun Gong, and that practicing Falun Gong is beneficial to society. Therefore, she never gave her real name and called herself “Wang.” The 610 Office of Jilin and Zhanqian Police Station used false accusations, and the original trial was conducted against that name. After Ms. Yu's family and lawyers appealed, the Middle Court of Jilin set aside the verdict, but still did not realize her.

Ms. Yu spend 19.5 months at the detention center and endured cruel torture, causing her tuberculosis to relapse. Her family went to visit her in October, but Ms. Yu was incoherent, and she was extremely thin, She was soon sent to a hospital for tuberculosis patients. The detention center did not notify her family until she was unconscious and in critical condition. She was sent to Siliuwu Hospital, where she passed away on the same day, still handcuffed to her bed.

Related articles:|Torture and Abuse Endured by Ms. Yu Quan Before She Died