Chinese name:
Chengdu City
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Pi County Prison
Case Description:

Seventy-three-year-old Ms. Miao Sufang died between March and April 2010. She lived in Caojia Lane, Chengdu City, Sichuan Province. As a Falun Dafa practitioner, she endured brainwashing, forced labor, and torture.

The police beat her and forced her to stand in the snow with only her undergarments on when she was arrested for appealing for the right to practice Falun Dafa in Beijing in January 2001.

She was subsequently subjected to a year of forced labor and imprisoned at the Nanmusi Women's Forced Labor Camp in Zizhong County, Sichuan Province.

In order to force practitioners to "transform," the guards in the camp entry division, the Fifth Division, ordered drug inmates to torture them. They were forced to stand from 6:00 a.m. to midnight every day without moving or talking. They had to get permission from the inmates before using the bathroom.

Ms. Miao's feet became swollen, too swollen to put on shoes. Then the swollen area spread up to her knees. Her legs kept shivering and she could barely walk. Even then, she was not given any medical attention.

After four months of torture in the entry division, she was transferred to the Ninth Division, then to the Seventh Division in August. She was locked upstairs for five months without going down once. She was forced to sit in military position without moving or talking. The guards repeatedly threatened her, "You have no chance to leave the gate of the camp if you do not 'transform.'"

She was arrested a second time for telling people about Falun Dafa, and detained at the Pi County Prison. She was released after she vomited blood as a result of torture. After her release, the local officers frequently harassed her. To avoid further harassment, she fled home, hiding from one place to another. When she came home several years later, she was in her seventies and weak. She died this year.