Zhang Yulan - 张玉兰

Chinese name:
Antu County
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Heizuizi Women's Forced Labor Camp
Case Description:

Ms. Zhang Yulan was a 48-year-old Falun Dafa practitioner from Baihe, Antu County, Jilin Province. She was very diligent in cultivation. After July 1999, some of the volunteer contact persons in her local area were arrested, and as a result, a lot of Dafa work came to a halt. Despite the harsh environment, she took over many of the truth-clarification projects. Through her and fellow practitioners' enormous efforts, many local practitioners stepped forward to validate the Fa and distribute truth-clarification materials.

In January 2002, Zhang Yulan was illegally arrested for clarifying the truth and sent to the Baihe Forestry Bureau detention center, where she was inhumanely tortured. Six policemen surrounded her, kicking, beating and cursing at her. She was tortured for five hours non-stop. When they got tired, they grabbed her hair and threw her head against the wall until she passed out. A long time passed before she regained consciousness. However, the moment she opened her eyes, the police stepped on her legs and private areas, madly beating and cursing at her. She thought to herself, "I must get up and I must not crawl at the feet of these vicious people." So she struggled to stand up. At this time, the police went out to take a break. Feeling very uncomfortable, she decided to do Dafa exercises to restore her equilibrium. The police were back before she could finish the first set of exercises. They were furious to see her practicing the exercise. As a punishment, they ordered her to do the second set of Dafa exercises (the standing stance exercise) for two hours instead of the usual 30 minutes. More than two hours passed, and Zhang Yulan was still not tired. Seeing this, the police said, "Other people would be exhausted in one hour, yet you can keep going after two hours. We can't let you feel so comfortable." They started to beat her again until she passed out. Then the police hung her up and went off. It was not until next morning that they realized that she was still hung up. However, it took them more than two hours before they could get her down. During the process, she passed out several times.

Seeing that Zhang Yulan was extremely weak with injuries all over her body, the detention center officials dared not let her family come see her for fear of revealing their crimes. So they secretly sentenced her to one year of forced labor education and transferred her to the Heizuizi Women's Labor Camp in Changchun City, Jilin Province. After eight months of torture at the labor camp, she was on the brink of dying. The labor camp did not want to bear the responsibility so they asked her family to pick her up. Not long after, she passed away on October 8, 2002.

Chinese version available at: