Shen Xueya - 沈学娅

Chinese name:
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Chongqing Women's Forced Labor Camp
Case Description:

Before Ms. Shen Xueya practiced Falun Gong, she had severe rheumatism, and suffered a mental collapse. She also had a bad temper, and had the desire to excel at the expense of others. In early 1999, she began practicing Falun Gong. Due to the practice, six months later she had recovered and become good-tempered. Following the principles of Falun Dafa, Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance, she tried to be a good person and persist in practicing Falun Gong.

In July 2007, Ms. Shen was clarifying the truth about the innocent Falun Gong practitioners who are being persecuted. She was arrested by officers from the Fengjie County Police Department and Domestic Security Division. She was taken to Chongqing Women's Forced Labor Camp and sentenced to three years of forced labor.

Chongqing's Women's Forced Labor Camp is terrifying to behold. Any Falun Gong practitioner who goes to the labor camp, no matter how old, whether she is strong or weak, is forced to attend a "group training session." This session acts as a cover to beautify the labor camp, but in fact it is a place where guards with no human nature torture good people. They use all kinds of methods to create stress. The goal is to break the practitioners' wills and cause mental anguish. Guards have used the following torture methods to mistreat Falun Gong practitioners: "Standing in a pose," military squat, unknown drugs, physical punishment, extended exposure to sun, being suspended with hands cuffed behind the back, force-feeding with highly concentrated salt water, sealing mouth with tape, food deprivation, denial of restroom use, and sleep deprivation. These methods don't leave scars on the body, but practitioners will feel increasing pain until they can no longer endure. Guards also force inmates to take unknown drugs. Practitioners are so brutally tortured that they don't even look like human beings after completing the group training.

After Ms. Shen was taken to the labor camp, the guards used a variety of torture methods, but she was not "transformed." She did not give up her belief. The guards finally forced her to take some unknown drugs. Each day, they forced her to take a white pill. As a result, she developed a mental disorder and was in a continuous semi-conscious state.

After a year and a half of torture with the unidentified drugs, Ms. Shen was mentally traumatized. The guards saw that she could not be used to do labor, so she was released on medical parole in February 2009. At home, there were only elderly people who could not take care of her. On the morning of March 1, 2009, she fell down in the building and died.