Chinese name:
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
a brainwashing center
Case Description:

Ms. Jia Shuhua, 55, lived in Houxiangzi Village, Chengguan Town, Pingdu City, Shandong Province. She benefited immensely after she started practicing Falun Gong in the 1990's. She enjoyed her life and treated others with kindness. All of this changed on July 20, 1999, when the nationwide persecution of Falun Gong started.

In 2000, Ms. Jia went to Beijing to appeal on behalf of Falun Gong. She was arrested. Police officers from Pingdu City took her back and held her in the Pingdu Hospital of Chinese Medicine. She was forced to pay 14,000 yuan before she was released.

In 2001, the police surrounded Ms. Jia and other practitioners while they were chatting, but Ms. Jia managed to escape. In 2002, the Chinese Communist Party further escalated the persecution. In order to raise the public's awareness of the persecution, she went to expose the persecution of Falun Gong in the family quarters of the Pingdu Electric Company. She was turned in to the police and taken to the Pingdu City "610 Office." She refused to give up her belief and was sentenced to two years of forced labor. Due to maltreatment in the Wangcun Women's Forced Labor Camp, she developed stomach problems. Soon she was in critical condition. The labor camp officials were afraid of being held responsible and decided to release her on medical parole.

She remained weak after returning home, but officials from the labor camp made phone calls to her home every month, threatening to take her back there if she continued to believe in Falun Dafa. Local police officers also showed up frequently to harass her and her family. Under constant, escalating pressure, her situation deteriorated. She had to undergo surgery for her stomach.

At 9:00 a.m. on July 20, 2006, the police broke into her home and took her to a brainwashing center operated by the 610 Office.

One night at around 11:30 p.m. in 2008, the police showed up at her home again. Her family was able to spot the officers in time to alert Ms. Jia. She managed to escape.

After years of relentless persecution, Ms. Jia's condition continued to deteriorate. She had to undergo another surgery for bile excretion. She soon passed away.

Related articles: