Chinese name:
Qi County
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Qi County Detention Center
Case Description:

Mr. Mei Chunfu had many diseases before practicing Falun Gong. He became a healthy person in both mind and body soon after practicing, and his entire family was moved by the miracles of Falun Gong. Since July 1999, after the persecution began, he was detained for almost seven years, endangering his life.

Mr. Mei went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong in October 1999. The police arrested and detained him in the Qi County Detention Center. The guards tortured him with tightening the ropes (1) and ankle shackles; they punched and kicked him, locked him up in a small cell (2), and deprived him of drinking water. Because Mr. Mei persisted in practicing his faith and did not accept the brainwashing, the guards locked his shackles together with handcuffs, which meant that he could not stand up or sit down, and he had to stay in a very painful bent position. When it was meal time, he was still not released from this torture, and had to hold the bowl with both handcuffed hands, bending his head down hard. Mr. Mei clarified the truth to guards, and was locked in the small cell another 15 days without drinking water. He could not bear the thirst, and had to drink some dirty water from the toilet bowl.

In May 2000, Mr. Mei went to Beijing again to appeal. He was arrested and picked up by the Qi County police, detained in the Qi County Detention Center, and sentenced to three years of forced labor in the Kaifeng City Forced Labor Camp.

Not long after he was released from the labor camp, Mr. Mei went to Kaifeng City to visit family on March 16, 2004. He was talking to people about Falun Gong on the way, and was arrested and sentenced to another three years of forced labor at the Kaifeng City Forced Labor Camp.

In the autumn of 2006, Falun Dafa practitioner Mr. Zhang Zhagen was tortured to death in the Kaifeng City Forced Labor Camp. To avoid an investigation, the camp administration transferred all detained practitioners to the Xuchang City Forced Labor Camp, where Mr. Mei was again tortured.

Only two months after his release from the Xuchang City Forced Labor Camp, Mr. Mei was still suffering both mentally and physically from the torture. On the afternoon of February 7, 2007, Qi County Domestic Security Division Chief Liu Hongtao had Shawuo Township police take Mr. Mei and his family to the Township Police Station. After a few questions, Liu said, "His thoughts are still not converted, take him in." They detained Mr. Mei again.

Mr. Mei went on a ten-day hunger strike to protest his illegal arrest. He had not recovered from the forced labor camp, so ten days on a hunger strike caused him to be emaciated, and he could not walk. The Qi County Detention Center authorities were afraid he would die, so they notified his family to pick him up.

The police never left him in peace, and kept harassing him at home. Mr. Mei never fully recovered, and died in 2009.