Chinese name:
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Banqiao Women's Forced Labor Camp in Tianjin City
Case Description:

Ms. Gong Hui was a doctor, but she could not help being very sick before she started cultivating Falun Gong. Only three months after Ms. Gong started practicing Falun Gong, all of her illnesses disappeared. She looked exuberant and at least a decade younger.

Ms. Gong was unlawfully arrested on August 13, 2008, during the Beijing Olympics, by the local police and Domestic Security officers. She was detained in the Nankai District Detention Center for 35 days then taken to the Banqiao Forced Labor Camp in Dagang District on September 17, 2008, where she was held in complete isolation for an extended period of time. She was deprived of all basic rights and kept isolated from the outside world. The guards instigated inmates to viciously beat and curse her, along with other practitioners who refused to give up their belief in Falun Dafa. Ms. Gong was held in a small cell, ordered to stand for extended hours, deprived of sleep, and given insufficient meals. The purpose of the torture was to coerce her and other practitioners to give up their Falun Dafa practice.

On November 9, 2008, the guards and inmates started a torture session at 9:00 a.m., and it continued until 11:00 p.m., at which point Ms. Gong was on the verge of death. Torture of similar severity is commonplace, resulting in death or mental collapse of numerous practitioners.

Within three months of being held in the Banqiao Forced Labor Camp, she became emaciated and suffered from numerous illnesses. She even had a hard time speaking. On November 25, her family vehemently condemned the labor camp guards for their brutality. They clearly pointed out to the guards that the so-called "complete isolation" approach of torture is against the law. The female guards were terrified to face the charges. The guards called in Zhang, who is in charge of Second Section, and directly responsible for the torture. She knew that she acted unlawfully and left in a hurry after a brief argument.

Ms. Gong was tortured in the Banqiao Women's Forced Labor Camp for one year and three months, suffered from a mental collapse, and became severely sick. Only 22 days after she was released home, she died, on December 4, 2009.