Tian Fujin - 田福金

Chinese name:
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Baoanzhao Prison in Zhalaite Prefecture
Case Description:

Mr. Tian Fujin was a very good man. His entire family of six practiced Falun Dafa, and have all been brutally mistreated. Agents Shao Jun, Wang Bo and Baojirimutu of the 610 Office, along with local police officers and community administrators, often stormed in, cursing, ransacking, and arresting them one by one. The family's cumulated time in detention amounted to more than thirty years over the past ten years of persecution. Mr. Tian alone was detained nearly seven years.

Mr. Tian went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Dafa on December 23, 1999, and was arrested and detained for more than two months. He was sentenced to three years of forced labor, detained in the Tongliao Forced Labor Camp, and then transferred to the Tumuji Men's Forced Labor Camp. He was then transferred to the Wuyuan Forced Labor Camp in May 2001. When he first arrived, the camp held a meeting slandering Falun Dafa. Mr. Tian stood up to validate that Falun Dafa is great, and was carried out by several guards. These guards used five electric batons to shock him simultaneously, until all five batons were out of power. The guards recharged the batons, and continued to shock him for more than three hours. His white shirt turned bloody, which guards took away to hide the evidence of torture. The guards also punched and kicked him, and then locked him in a small cell (1).

Mr. Tian was released in late 2002. When he visited his detained younger daughter Tian Miao in July 2003, he was arrested and detained in the Tongliao City Detention Center for nearly six months, and sentenced to another three years of forced labor in the Wuyuan City Forced Labor Camp. His 97 year-old father died on November 18, 2005, and he and his two detained daughters were not allowed to attend his funeral.

Mr. Tian's wife Liu Xiurong was detained twice, sentenced to two years of forced labor, and then sentenced to four years in prison. His first daughter Tian Fang was arrested and then taken to a brainwashing center. She was detained four times, sentenced to two years of forced labor (when she failed her physical check up she was released on parole), and then sentenced to four years in the Hohhot City Prison, and subsequently spent another five years in prison. His second daughter Tian Xin was detained and sent to a forced labor camp twice. His third daughter Tian Miao was forced to go through brainwashing once, detained four times, sentenced to six years in prison, and was detained together with her first sister in Hohhot City Prison. His son was detained twice, and sentenced to three years in the Tongliao City Prison.

On June 5, 2008, just prior to the Olympics, police ransacked Mr. Tian's home, arrested the couple along with their first daughter and son, and left a twelve year-old grandchild home alone. They released their son Tian Shuangjiang, but detained the other three in the Hexi Detention Center.

The Horqin District Court put Mr. Tian, his wife and their first daughter on trial on November 3, 2008. Mr. Tian was very weak and not totally conscious. His wife Liu Xiurong and daughter Tian Fang were all very weak. They were in individual court sessions, and then in a combined session. Mr. Tian had no energy to defend himself. His wife used her broken voice to say that they made truth clarifying materials to save people and help them have a good future. Ms. Tian Fang was released in September 2007, but only one year later she was jailed again. Mr. Tian was sentenced to three years, his wife four years, and their daughter Tian Fang to five years in prison.

Mr. Tian was locked in the Baoanzhao Prison. In 18 months of being in custody, he was only allowed to call his family once. His daughter tried to visit him in March 2009, but was rejected due to the fact that she also practiced Falun Dafa. The guards did not allow her to leave any clothes for him, or allow him to write to his family.

At around 8:30 a.m., on December 14, 2009, the Baoanzhao Prison authorities called his home, and said that he was dying. His family rushed to the prison after 6:00 p.m., and saw that Mr. Tian was in a deep coma. The guards said he got up to use the toilet at 3:00 a.m., and said his legs felt numb. By 5:00 a.m. when the others got up, they found that he was dying. He was taken to the hospital around 7:00 a.m.. His family requested that they take him home for treatment, but the prison authorities demanded an unreasonable amount of paperwork.

Oxygen supported his last breath until 10:45 p.m. The doctor said he had extravasated blood in his brain and that he must have had a history of at least ten years of hypertension. His family claimed he had been very healthy since 1996 when he started practicing Falun Gong, and never had hypertension symptoms. His body was cremated. The prison authorities said his death was caused by a stroke.