Chinese name:
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Chongqing City Shabao Women's Forced Labor Camp
Case Description:

Around 10 a.m. on May 19, 2008, Jiangbei District Domestic Security agents Liang Shibin, Liu Ling (female), and others arrested Ms. Su Zebi and took her to the Yubei Brainwashing Center after ransacking her home. On June 1, 2008, she was sentenced to one year in a forced labor camp and taken to the Shabao Women's Forced Labor Camp in the Jiangbei District.

At the camp, she was placed in the Fourth Ward, otherwise known as the "Education Ward," which was established specifically to house Falun Gong practitioners. In January 2009, 127 practitioners were detained in that ward, 58 of whom were older than 60. Regardless of age, everyone was forced to "exercise" outdoors from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. for a month. Exercises included military-style marching, standing, and squatting. Practitioners were not allowed to talk or make eye contact. Prisoners detained on drug charges were assigned to watch them closely and around the clock. They were authorized to beat and curse practitioners at will. Practitioners were forced to read books slandering Falun Dafa and were forced to write reports to "correct their thinking." If they were reluctant, they were beaten and deprived of sleep. They were given little to eat or to drink while having to perform forced labor. Typically, practitioners in their 60s had to wrap more than 60 pounds of candy every day, fold 350 boxes for packing down jackets, and sew details on six pairs of pants. Whenever someone could not finish her quota, she was forced to stand upright for a long time, write a statement of guilt, or copy the prison rules.

During her time at the camp, Ms. Su Zebi suffered serious physical and psychological injuries. After she was allowed to return home on June 1, 2009, local police continued to threaten and harass her. She died on November 14, 2009, due to the stressful conditions.