Chinese name:
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Dalian City Detention Center
Case Description:

On July 4, 2009 at around noon, Falun Dafa practitioners Mr. Feng Gang, his wife Ms. Wang Juan, and twelve others were arrested at the home of practitioner Ms. Shi Guixiang by officers from the Huanghe Road Police Station, which is under the jurisdiction of the Xigang District Police Department in Dalian City. They were detained at the Dalian Detention Center. Afterwards the police took Mr. Feng's house key and ransacked his home. They stole a laptop, books and other personal belongings.

Police officer Li Hongqiao interrogated Mr. Feng repeatedly during his detention. On August 10, 2009, Mr. Feng was in a life-threatening condition. The guard at the Dalian Detention Center said that Mr. Feng was not to die at the detention center, and that the Domestic Security Division would deal with it. Three Dalian City Domestic Security agents then came and took Mr. Feng to the Military No. 210 Hospital in Dalian.

According to the hospital examination, Mr. Feng's gallbladder was swollen to the size of two fists. He could not eat or drink in case the gallbladder might explode. The doctor told the person from the National Security Team that he was in critical condition and he must be operated on immediately. The Domestic Security agents said that it was not necessary to operate that day and that the doctor could wait until the next day, after Mr. Feng Gang was released from detention. Hence, Mr. Feng would have to pay all the expenses. The doctor did not agree and said the patient would die if the surgery was put off until the next day. The three agents had to pay a deposit of four thousand yuan, and they left quickly thereafter.

Mr. Feng told the doctor that he could not undergo the surgery since his wife was also detained, and he could not afford the cost. The doctor had sympathy for him. Mr. Feng wrote a statement to the doctor declaring that after his discharge, the hospital would not be responsible for his life or death. The doctor gave him fifty yuan from the deposit so that he could take a taxi home.

On August 12, 2009, Mr. Feng's family members learned that he was home, so they went to visit him the next day. When they knocked on the door nobody answered. Mr. Feng had disappeared again. It was said that he went to a supermarket after going home and was arrested again.

On August 14, 2009, members of Mr. Feng's family went to the Dalian City Domestic Security Division to request his release. The staff said that all of the police officers were out, but they insisted on seeing an officer. After a long period of time, one officer showed up and said, "You have to talk to the person who arrested him." Mr. Feng's family members went to the police station on Huanghe Road. They saw Li Hongqiao, who was in charge, and asked him where Mr. Feng was. Li Hongqiao did not answer the question directly and said that Mr. Feng had either died or would die in a few days. Mr. Feng's family members said that they wanted to see the body if he was dead. Li Hongqiao then said that Mr. Feng was not dead.

Mr. Feng's family members said to Li Hongqiao, "Since Mr. Feng Gang is seriously ill, he should be taken care of by his wife, Ms. Wang Juan." Li Hongqiao said that Ms. Wang had been sent to the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp. After being persecuted for more than one month, Ms. Wang had become emaciated and lost her appetite. She also had symptoms of heart disease and hepatitis.

On August 17, 2009, Mr. Feng's family members went to the police station to request his release. Li Hongqiao showed a statement that Mr. Feng was released on the condition that he would serve his term outside of prison. The date on the statement was August 10, 2009, the same day Mr. Feng was taken to the No. 210 Hospital, but it was not signed by Mr. Feng. They asked Li Hongqiao why there was no signature. Li said that he had refused to sign.

On August 19, 2009, Ms. Wang's family members were informed by phone from the Police Station at Huanghe Road that Ms. Wang had been sent to the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp, and she would be detained there for one and a half years.

On September 16, 2009, Mr. Feng's family reported him missing to the Fuguo Street Police Station located in the Shahekou District. Officers told them Mr. Feng had died on August 14, 2009, and his body had undergone an autopsy at the Shahekou District Police Department. They asked the family to go to that department to have his body cremated.