Song Bing - 宋冰

Chinese name:
Shulan City
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Shulan City Detention Center
Case Description:

Ms. Song Bing, 37, graduated from the Changchun Postal Institute, majoring in stored program control switching. She worked for a privately-owned computer company after college, and she was later employed by the Shulan City Telecommunications Company. She had suffered from a bone marrow disease and underwent a serious operation which almost took her life or caused her to become permanently disabled. She began practicing Falun Gong in 1997, and all her ailments disappeared.

In September 1999, Ms. Song Bing and her older sister Ms. Song Yanqun were each sentenced to one year of forced labor, and their terms were extended. Ms. Song Bing's term was extended six months, and she was released in April 2001. Both sisters were very weak upon returning home and had lost their jobs; they were then both arrested again by the Shulan City police.

On May 25, 2004, Ms. Song Bing and her sister Ms. Song Yanqun were both taken to Tiebei Prison in Changchun City. Ms. Song Bing was found to have tuberculosis, and she was rejected by the prison. The detention center had her checked again in June 2004 and reported her condition to the court, and her case was dismissed. She should have been released at this point, but Shulan City Police Department Deputy Director Xin He refused to approve her release.

In July 2004, the detention center had her checked into the Jilin City Central Hospital. Her condition had seriously worsened, and the CT scan found a two-inch by three-inch hole in her lung. She was very weak and had a fever, cough, shortness of breath, no appetite, and partial heart failure. The police still did not allow her to go home. By the end of July, she was dying. Her parents requested her release many times, but the Shulan City Police Department Deputy Director Xin He said that he would lose his job if he agreed to release Ms. Song. The CCP Shulan City Political and Judiciary Committee Secretary Zhao Wei said that he was not allowed to talk about the law because he refused to follow it when it came to Falun Gong matters. The Shulan City 610 Office Chairman Li Pu said that he would rather be responsible for her life than for releasing Ms. Song.

On September 4, 2004, when she was close to death, Ms. Song was finally allowed to "serve her term outside the prison." Shulan City Detention Center Director Zhuang Runjiang extorted 3,000 yuan from her parents to secure her release. Upon returning home, Ms. Song gradually began studying the Fa and doing the Falun Gong exercises, and her condition became better. However, police were watching her closely, and they tried to arrest her as soon as she regained her health. Ms. Song had to leave her home to avoid being arrested.

Ms. Song's health never recovered, and she died on July 30, 2009.