Chinese name:
Guangshui City
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Guangshui City Detention Center
Case Description:

Ms. Liu Guangfeng, 52, was a staff member at the Grain Department in Guangshui City, Hubei Province. She was honest, quiet, kind, industrious, and well respected. After the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) staged the persecution of Falun Gong, she suffered a tremendous amount of persecution.

On September 30, 2004, she was arrested by police officers from the Xingyang City Police Department. She was detained in the Guangshui City First Detention Center, and later sentenced to two years of forced labor. In the Shayang Forced Labor Camp, she was forced to stand for several days and nights. Her legs developed big blisters from being shocked by electric batons, and the guards prohibited her from rolling up her pants, fearing that it would expose the blisters.

On December 26, 2004, the women's unit of the Shayang Forced Labor Camp moved to Hongshan District, Wuhan City, and was renamed the Hubei Province Women's Forced Labor Camp. The guards subjected practitioners to sleep deprivation, forced them to squat or stand for long periods of time, had drug addict prisoners kick their abdomen and private areas and pinch their breasts, shocked them with electric batons, and forced them to sit on a small stool for a long time. Ms. Liu's abdomen, private areas and thighs were black and blue all over due to the physical abuse. In spite of that, she was still forced to work in the workshop for more than ten hours each day. Sometimes, she was prohibited from brushing her teeth and washing her face. When all of the others went to bed, Bao Kun and Liu Xiaoli, the inmates assigned to persecute her, took turns watching her and forced her to squat until 2:00 a.m. or 3:00 a.m. One time, when she disclosed the persecution she suffered to others, guard Yu Lijun threatened her, "You will suffer even more in the future."

On January 7, 2009, Ms. Liu took a train to Wuhan City, and she was arrested for reading Zhuan Falun on the train by police officers from the Hubei Police Station. At around 2:00 a.m. on January 8, 2009, more than ten police officers from the Wuhan City Railway Police Department broke into her home and seized her computer and truth clarifying materials.

On February 8, 2009, Ms. Liu was taken to the Guangshui City First Detention Center and detained there. On the afternoon of April 2, 2009, the authorities of the detention center suddenly notified her family to pick her up. In the detention center, her family members found that she could not speak, walk, or eat, and the skin from her neck to her feet and her fingers was all black and blue. There were scars around her neck.

She was critically ill when she arrived at home. At 1:00 a.m. on April 4, 2009, she passed away.