Xia Yuanbo - 夏元波

Chinese name:
Shuangcheng City
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Changlinzi Forced Labor Camp in Harbin City
Case Description:
Mr. Xia Yuanbo, 27, lived in Yisheng Village, Qingling Township, Shuangcheng City, Heilongjiang Province. On July 17, 2000, he went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. He was arrested and taken back by Zhao Yihe, the Qingling Township Chinese Communist Party (CCP) Secretary of the Political and Judicial Committee, along with Yu Guangpei, the Middle School Principal, and Ren Shuangku, a security head. He was detained for 15 days in the Shuangcheng City Detention Center, fined 800 yuan by the Detention Center Director and 100 yuan by Ren Shuangku.

On December 24, 2000, Wu Wenzhi from Yisheng Village deceived him into going to the village office, and then sent him to the Shuangcheng Detention Center for 126 days. During the detention period, the guards incited the inmates to beat him up.

On July 9, 2000, security head Ren Shuangku and Dong Fushan called him to the village office and asked him if he distributed informational materials. They also cruelly beat him until he passed out, and then poured cold water on his head. His face was swollen and deformed due to the torture. He was released when they realized they could not get anything more from him. He was forced to leave his home and wander around homeless to avoid further persecution.

In January 2001, the Village CCP Secretary personally watched practitioner Mr. Shi Zuosheng's home. On January 17, 2001, as Mr. Shi was leaving the village, he was taken into custody at the local police station for 24 hours. Officers then took Mr. Shi Zuosheng, his wife Ms. Zhang Shufen, and their neighbor Mr. Xia Yuanbo and detained them for 105 days in the Shuangcheng City Detention Center.

In August 2001, Mr. Xia Yuanbo visited practitioner Mr. Shi Xiangfeng, who is Mr. Shi Zuosheng's son, and was taken to the village office where he was brutally beaten. The village officials threatened him and would not allow him to go to Mr. Shi's home, because their entire family practiced Falun Dafa.

In November 2001, Ren Shuangku and Wu Hongzhi broke into Mr. Xia's home, dragged him out from his sleep, and brutally beat him. He was then taken to be beaten at the village office, until he could not stand up. They detained him and sentenced him to forced labor, and he was locked in the notorious Changlinzi Men' Forced Labor Camp. He was cruelly tortured, and became emaciated. He never recovered after his release, and he had no permanent home. He developed symptoms of late stage tuberculosis. He could not breathe, felt congested, and vomited out rotten flesh. His symptoms were very similar to those of three other practitioners who were also detained before their deaths in the Changlinzi Forced Labor Camp. They were Mr. Zhao Guangxi (see http://www.clearwisdom.net/emh/articles/2007/2/26/83024.html), Mr. Liu Quanguo (see http://www.clearwisdom.net/emh/articles/2008/2/21/94638.html) and Mr. Dong Liantai (see http://www.clearwisdom.net/emh/articles/2008/9/24/100914.html). It is very possible that they were all poisoned by unknown drugs during their forced labor.

Mr. Xia Yuanbo's family took him to be treated at the Shuangcheng City Hospital. The doctor found that one side of his lung was rotten. His family used up all the 5000 yuan of borrowed money, and had to take him home. Mr. Xia became emaciated, and died in pain on September 21, 2008.