Chinese name:
Chengdu City
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Nanmusi Women's Labor Camp
Case Description:

 Ms. Zheng Youmei, 61, a retired employee of the Sichuan Province Vinyl Factory (under China Petroleum Fabric Corp. in Chongqing City), lived in Chengdu City, Sichuan Province. She used to have heart disease, a vertebral body compression fracture at T-12 (VBF), arthritis, and other ailments. After cultivating Falun Dafa at the end of 1996, all her illnesses went away.

In July 1999, the Communist Party began persecuting Falun Gong. Ms. Zheng went to Beijing to speak out for the practice, and she was arrested, taken back to Chongqing City, and detained in the Changshou Detention Center. After being detained for one month, she was held at the Jitou Police Station in Wuhou District, Chengdu City for 15 days.

Ms. Zheng was later sentenced to 18 months of forced labor and detained in the Nanmusi Women's Forced Labor Camp in Zizhong City, Sichuan Province. More than a dozen practitioners, including Ms. Zheng, were tortured by being locked in a water dungeon.(1) She was released on October 31, 2001 after her term was extended five months.

On December 26, 2001, only two months after she returned home, Jinyang Community CCP Secretary Li Bohua and officer Zeng Fengming led four people to forcibly take Ms. Zheng to the Jinhua brainwashing center. She was tortured by being locked in a "small cell" under constant surveillance by people and watchdogs (trained huskies). Officer Liu Xiaokang punched Ms. Zheng's head in this class, resulting in her seeing dark spots and becoming absent minded. She was deeply injured both mentally and physically under the huge pressure. Around June 10, 2002, she suddenly saw darkness, and passed out on the floor, bleeding severely from her broken upper lip with a huge bump on her forehead. She was rushed to the hospital. The doctor said it was caused by heart failure.

Ms. Zheng Youmei escaped police custody at the hospital, and she was forced to flee to avoid being arrested. Her relatives' homes and phones were all placed under surveillance. Police were trying to track her down, and she was arrested in November 2007. They took her back to the Nanmusi Women's Labor Camp. She died in custody on November 2, 2008.