Li Wenxia - 李文霞

Chinese name:
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Tanggu District Detention Center
Case Description:
Ms. Li Wenxia, 47, was a farmer who lived in Nanyao Village, Hujiayuan Street, Tanggu District, Tianjian City. She began Falun Dafa cultivation in 1997. She was plagued by many health problems before practicing Falun Dafa , including gallstones, and walking with a limp. After practicing Falun Dafa, she had no pain, and was able to walk normally. Falun Dafa filled her with the joy of good health.

In 2000, Ms. Li wanted to clarify to the government that Falun Dafa good. Appealing to the government is a protected right of Chinese citizens. But Ms. Li was arrested while boarding the train, and was detained for a month, wrongly charged with the crime of disturbing social order. Ms. Li could not understand this lawless persecution.

She still did the exercises with fellow practitioners at home, but they were arrested and detained in Tanggu District Detention Center for nine months.

During this nine months of detention, Ms. Li was subjected to numerous tortures. She was forced into slave labor every day, and made to eat very dirty non-nutritious food that caused many of the inmates to have diarrhea. Because she was a Falun Dafa practitioner, she was not allowed to sleep on a bed, but instead made to sleep on the wet cement floor. All cell mates used this area to wash themselves, and they were provided with only a chamber pot for a toilet. Cold water was constantly poured on her, and she slept in about an inch of water. She was also constantly cursed and beaten for not renouncing Falun Dafa.

This long-term mistreatment caused Ms. Li to become severely injured mentally, and physically weak, unable to take care of herself. She could not keep any food down and developed severe problems with control of her excretory functions. Guards then forced her to stay naked, lying on the water-covered cement floor. This severe environment and constant torture caused her to loose 140 of her 180 pounds of body weight.

The detention center administration forbid her family from visiting her during these nine months. Seeing that her life was in danger, they finally let her family bail her out at the cost of one thousand yuan. Her family carried her home, because she could not walk. She looked like a skeleton, she could not see or hear anything, and was unable to talk. She could only utter some weak sounds like a newborn kitten.

Even in such terrible physical condition, the local officers still constantly harassed and threatened her at home. She was not able to regain her health, and she died in December 2006.