Chinese name:
Shijiazhuang City
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Jinzhong Prison in Shanxi Province
Case Description:

Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Luan Fusheng, 56, resided in Shijiazhuang City, Hebei Province, and used to work in the city government. In October 1999, Luan Fusheng went to Beijing to clarify the truth about Falun Gong. However, he was beaten up terribly by a policeman named Wei Ming from the Xinhua Street Police Station in Qiaoxi District, Shijiazhuang City. Mr. Luan was handcuffed to the railing of the second floor balcony and was subjected to torture intended. Mr. Luan was then locked up in the Beijiao Detention Center for 30 days.

On October 2002, Luan Fusheng was arrested because he practiced Falun Gong and printed truth-clarification information. On the 7th of July 2003, Luan Fusheng was sentenced to 11 years in prison by the Wanbolin District Court in Taiyuan City. On October 2003, he was taken to Cell 13 of the Jinzhong Prison, Shanxi Province in early November 2003. He was tortured horribly, both mentally and physically under inhuman living conditions. Luan Fusheng's health deteriorated. At the end of 2005, his diabetes and hypertension flared. He became very ill and emaciated. It was impossible for him to walk without assistance, and he became short of breath when talking. The first notice of his critical illness was released by the 109th Military Hospital of Taiyuan.

In February 2006, Luan Fusheng had complex diabetes syndrome, together with hypertension and pleuritis. He looked like a skeleton, with both legs severely swollen and he could hardly breathe while talking. Mr. Luan was taken to the emergency department of the 109th Military Hospital in Taiyuan. A second notice of his critical illness was released. Mr. Luan's family repeatedly requested his release, but the prison denied all requests, claiming "Falun Gong practitioners are not eligible for medical parole."

On February 3, 2007, Luan Fusheng's family saw during a visit that Mr. Luan was being carried on the back of another prisoner. His health condition was extremely bad; he could not speak at all. His family requested medical parole again. On the 26th of February, Luan Fusheng was sent to the emergency department of the 109th Military Hospital where he was diagnosed with complex diabetes syndrome and tuberculosis. On the morning of February 28, 2007, a third notice of critical illness was released by the hospital.

On the 21st of March 2007, Luan Fusheng was so close to death that the Prison Administration finally released him from the hospital because they did not want to be held responsible for his death. Luan Fusheng was taken from the Jinzhong Prison to the Weiming Neighborhood Police Station in Shijiazhuang City, Hebei Province under the custody of four policemen. The policemen at the Weiming Police Station were so shocked after they saw Luan's terrible appearance that they took him home directly. After being home for 19 days, Luan Fusheng left this world..