Chinese name:
Fusong County
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Chaoyanggou Labor Camp
Case Description:

Mr. Wang Weidong lived in Lushuihe Town, Fusong County, Baishan City, Jilin Province. He had worked at the Beigang Power Supply Station, part of a water and electricity company. He went to Beijing to appeal in February 2000, was arrested and taken to the Fusong County Detention Center where he was held for four months. In October 2000 and was arrested again and held at the Fusong County Detention Center for 50 days. Officials at the Fusong County Politics and Law Section sentenced him to two years of forced labor and took him to the Baishan Forced Labor Camp. Mr. Wang Weidong was later transferred to the Chaoyanggou Labor Camp, to be held for two years.

In chronological order, he was held at Division 1, Division 6 and Division 5, where guards Wang Tao and Zhu beat him many times and tortured him. They forced him to sit on a bare wooden plank for long hours and did not let him talk. If he said anything, the guards would savagely beat him, and he was forced to live in terror and isolation. Once, the guards shocked him with electric batons for four hours and slapped his face until he lost hearing in both ears, which lasted a long time. They whipped him with a belt, and a rattan strip dipped with water. After the skin broke from beatings, the guards rubbed salt into his wounds before resuming the whipping, which caused excruciating pain. The guards also ordered the inmates to torture him. Wang Weidong was tortured until his face deformed, his abdomen and face were both severely swollen, and fluid dripped from his hands and feet.

He went home in 2002 in a severely disabled state. He was extremely weak and his body was covered in scabies. He could not walk, and his entire body was numb and swollen. He could not do any chores. His hands and feet still seeped fluid, and sometimes his feet could not fit inside shoes. He could not turn over in bed, and his wife helped him go to the toilet. Officers from the Lushuihe Town Police Station continued to harass, threaten and monitor him at his home after he was released from Chaoyanggou Labor Camp in 2002. Mr. Wang Weidong passed away at 3:00 a.m. on February 17, 2007.