Chinese name:
Chifeng City
Inner Mogolia
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Case Description:

Practitioner Mr. Zhao Dianbin, 78 years old, was from Chifeng City, the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region. On July 22, 1999, several policemen roughly forced Mr. Zhao into a police vehicle when he was practicing the Falun Gong exercises in front of Chifeng City Museum. They drove him and other practitioners to a mountain in a far-away Chifeng suburban area. Then they pushed him and the other practitioners out of the vehicle and left. The practitioners had to walk a long way home. On July 23, 1999, police chief Liu Qi from the Xitun local police station in the Hongshan District arrested Mr. Zhao at his home and took him to the police station. The police forced Mr. Zhao, in his seventies, to stay under the steaming hot sun until he fell over from heat exhaustion. One sympathetic policeman finally let him go home. In October 1999, Zhao Dianbin went to Beijing to appeal. The Beijing police arrested him and detained him in Huairou County (a Beijing suburb). Later they took Mr. Zhao to the Chifeng City Liaison Office in Beijing. Then he was taken back to Chifeng.

On October 30, 2000, CCP personnel from the Hongshan District suddenly arrived at Mr. Zhao's residence to ransack his home and confiscate his personal belongings. They arrested him, his wife Mrs. Zou Reihuan, his son Mr. Zhao Hongyang, and daughter-in-law Mrs. Zhao Chunfeng. All of them were later cruelly tortured. Policeman Yang Liping and another officers tortured Mr. Zhao Dianbin. They used electric shocks and brutal beatings. In addition, they handcuffed him and then tightened the cuffs until he passed out. They then fabricated an oral confession and pressed his fingerprint on the paper while he was unconscious. After that, they used this falsified oral confession to implicate Mr. Zhao's daughter, Ms. Zhao Shuzhen, who worked in Beijing. This case provided false testimony for officials Bu Ren and others, who used it to torture Mr. Zhao's family.

In addition, Yin Shouming from Tienan Police Station in the Hongshan District, Xu Caiyun from the Residential Committee, and Ma and Zou Jinglin from the Street Administration Office went to Mr. Zhao's home repeatedly, trying to drive him out of their jurisdiction. They came day and night to threaten him. They pounded on the door, and yelled wildly. His neighbors were horrified. Mr. Zhao's three sons, three daughters-in-law, and three daughters were all arrested and put into prison for practicing Falun Gong. As a result of the relentless persecution, Mr. Zhao passed away on March 20, 2007.