Chinese name:
Dalian City
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Nanguanling Prison of Dalian City
Case Description:

Mr. Wang Hongnan, a Falun Dafa practitioner from Anshan City, Liaoning Province, was tortured to death at Nanguanling Prison in Dalian City, Liaoning Province on January 25, 2007, at the age of 37.


In the afternoon of March 14, 2003, Mr. Wang Hongnan received three calls on his pager from a local practitioner, Mr. Yang Kezhi, so he went directly to Mr. Yang's home after work. As soon as he arrived at Mr. Yang's door, several police from the Youhao Police Station suddenly appeared and held him down and handcuffed him. Then they took him to the Youhao Police Station. After they were unable to get any information from questioning Mr. Wang, the police took off all of Mr. Wang's clothes, handcuffed him, and hung him from a window parapet by the cuff. Chief Li Jixiang took Mr. Wang's money from his pocket, totaling 800 yuan. That night, the police started to torture Mr. Wang. Chief Li Jixiang restrained Mr. Wang's head by using a chair and ordered four officers to tie Mr. Wang's arms and legs with rope and pull in four different directions. This torture dislocated Mr. Wang's shoulder. Because the police were still unable to get the information they wanted from Mr. Wang through the torture, they handcuffed him to a radiator and left him there. The next day, they searched Mr. Wang's workplace and his home. They found and took away more of Mr. Wang's money, 2,400 yuan this time. Several practitioners, including Mr. Wang Hongnan and Mr. Yang Kezhi, were held at the Anshan City Detention Center. Officials from the Lishan District Court and the 610 Office secretly tried these practitioners on October 23, 2003. The court charged them with "sabotaging the administration of law" and sentenced them each to 12 years in prison. On March 20, 2004, Mr. Wang Hongnan was taken to Nanguanling Prison in Dalian City. During his imprisonment, he was brutally tortured by the guards. He was locked up in a small cell and had several burn injuries on his chest. Mr. Wang's family members weren't allowed to visit him in the prison until May 2004. Mr. Wang Hongnan's sister received phone calls from prison officials on January 25, 2007 that her brother, Mr. Wang Hongnan, had pulmonary tuberculosis and passed away. Before she even had a chance to see the body, officials at the prison told her to consent to cremation right away. She refused and asked why they didn't give him any medical treatment. A certificate issued by a hospital showed that Mr. Wang was taken to the hospital at 8:20 p.m. on January 25, 2007, and died at 8:24 p.m. the same day. Mr. Wang's sister knew that her brother never had the disease. When she visited her brother in the prison on August 4, 2006, his physical condition was normal.