Chinese name:
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Case Description:

( Mr. Cao Jingyu, from Wuhan City, Hubei Province, was imprisoned for seven years for his belief in Falun Gong. He was greatly harmed during the incarceration. Upon his release, agents from the local 610 Office continued to harass him at home, and his health deteriorated further.

Mr. Cao passed away on September 22, 2013, at the age of 40.

Mr. Cao was born on August 6, 1973, and graduated from the Naval University of Engineering. He started practicing Falun Gong at the end of 1998. Seven months later, in July 1999, the Chinese Communist Party launched a brutal campaign to eradicate the spiritual practice.

Mr. Cao went to Beijing in 2000 to appeal for the right to practice Falun Gong. He was illegally arrested and detained at the Etouwan Brainwashing Center in Wuhan City for almost two years. He eventually escaped from the brainwashing center and went to Guangzhou City.

Mr. Cao was arrested again in March 2003, while in Guangzhou City. He was sentenced to seven years in prison. In 2004, he was transferred to the Sihui Prison in Guangdong Province.

Mr. Cao was tortured and force-fed during his incarceration. He was not allowed to buy any daily necessities. He was forced to do slave labor during the day and subjected to physical punishment at night.

He was transferred to the “Enforced Management” prison district in 2008. The guards assigned several inmates to monitor him and attempted to force him to renounce his faith in Falun Gong.

Mr. Cao was forced to sit with a military posture for prolonged periods of time. He was beaten, sworn at, and insulted, as well as deprived of sleep, food, and restroom use. His eyes were sprayed with mosquito repellent, which decreased his vision.

Some of the inmates wrote words defaming Falun Gong on the ground and on Mr. Cao's bed and tried to force him to step or lie on them. When Mr. Cao refused, he was forced to stand for eight days straight. Eight inmates took turns monitoring him. He was not allowed to move or sleep, and his legs became swollen.

Mr. Cao was later diagnosed with renal failure by the prison hospital. He had a big lump on his right cheek, and it constantly discharged pus.

Mr. Cao was released on November 18, 2009. Thereafter, the Qiaokou District 610 Office personnel repeatedly came to his home to harass him. The head of the 610 Office, Xie Xiaofeng, also threatened and deceived Mr. Cao and his mother.

The abuse at the prison greatly harmed Mr. Cao. He never recovered his health and continued to be emaciated and ill upon his release.

Mr. Cao was sent to the Intensive Care Unit of the Zhongshan Hospital in Hubei Province on September 15, 2013. However, he failed to respond to treatment and passed away on September 22.

Related articles:|Mr. Cao Jingyu Dies After Enduring Seven Years of Imprisonment