Shan Yuqin - 单玉琴

Chinese name:
Yilan County
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Wanjia Forced Labor Camp in Harbin City
Case Description:
Ms. Shan Yuqin, 48, was from Dalianhe Town, Yilan County, Heilongjiang Province. In February 2000, she went to Beijing to appeal and was arrested by the Dalianhe Town Police Department. She was sent to Yilan County Second Detention Center and had 2,500 Yuan taken away from her. In July 2000, she was detained again for 34 days and had 1,500 Yuan taken from her. On November 27, 2000, she was abducted from her home by the Dalianhe Town Police Department and sent to a detention center, where she was detained for 210 days and fined 960 Yuan. During this detention period, she was once sent to a brainwashing class to be persecuted. Because Shan Yuqin was frequently arrested and detained, her watermelon crop was left with no one to take care of it. As a result, her family did not have any income and led a very hard life.

In 2001, Shan Yuqin was arrested again by the Dalianhe Town Police Department and sentenced to two years of 'education' through forced labor. While she was detained in Wanjia Labor Camp, she was brutally beaten by police and shocked with electric batons. The police cuffed her hands and hung her up. The cuffs cut deep into her flesh and the scars on her wrists never subsided. Fourteen of her teeth were knocked out. Due to the long-term torture, her health became poorer and poorer. Half of her body was paralyzed and she couldn't take care of herself. In the end, she suffered a mental collapse. Her mood swung very quickly. One minute she was crying, the next minute she was laughing. Only under this situation did the labor camp advise the Dalianhe Town Police Department to ask her family to pick her up. However, the town government party secretary Mao Yongfeng and the Dalianhe Town Police Department chief refused to stamp the documents needed for Shan's release. Later Mao Yongfeng went to the labor camp to do some business, the camp authorities asked if they could release Shan on medical parole. Mao said, "Isn't she still alive? As long as she still has one breath left, keep her here." As a result, Shan was detained for six additional months, during which time her condition worsened severely. On December 30, 2003, the Yinlan County "610 Office" and Shan's family picked her up. After she returned home, her health kept deteriorating and she remained bedridden. On August 20, 2004, she passed away.

Chinese version available at: