Chinese name:
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Case Description:

( Because he practiced Falun Gong, Mr. Wang Zaiyuan, a professor from Nanjing University, was illegally detained and put in forced labor camps many times. Relentlessly monitored, harassed, and threatened by the police, he passed away in June 2008.

Mr. Wang was born in December 1936. He graduated with degrees in Chinese language and Law. He taught at Nanjing University beginning in 1967. In the 1970s, he was an associate professor in the Chinese department of Nanjing University. Trusted by the Education Bureau, he went to Switzerland, France, and many other countries to teach Chinese for more than a decade. He retired in 1997.

Mr. Wang's wife, Tang Zhilan, was born in October 1938. After she graduated from medical school, she was assigned to a doctor serving in the army at the No. 113 Hospital, affiliated with the Nanjing Military Area. After she left the army, she went to work for Nanjing City Children's Hospital. She was the doctor in charge in various departments, including emergency and dermatology. She later served as director for the Administration Division in the Outpatient Medication Department until she retired in 1997.

Mr. Wang was tormented by heart disease. He gained mental and physical health through practicing Falun Gong. After the persecution of Falun Gong began under the Jiang regime, this renowned intellectual and his wife were detained many times and were seriously injured both mentally and physically.

Mr. Wang and other practitioners from Nanjing went to the Chinese Communist Party(CCP) Committee in Jiangsu Province on April 27, 1999, seeking the release of Tianjin City practitioners who had been arrested for appealing to the government on April 25, 1999. Officials from Gulou Police Station, Gulou Police Sub-Bureau, Nanjing Police Bureau, and the Security Section in Nanjing University ended up putting them all into detention and holding them for one week.

Mr. Wang went to Beijing in early October 2000 to appeal to the government, and clarify the facts about the benefits of Falun Dafa. Zhou Ning and political instructor Wang from Gulou Police Sub-Bureau detained him for three days.

In late September 2000, when his wife went to Beijing to appeal to the government, she was arrested by plainclothes officers on Tiananmen Square and taken away in a police vehicle. Agents from the Gulou District 610 Office, along with Zhou Ning from the Gulou Police Station, handcuffed her and took her back to Nanjing City, where she was held in a detention center for three days. Gulou Police Station officers ransacked her home on October 3. Ms. Tang was taken to Nanjing City Detention Center and held for 15 days.

Ms. Tang was released from Nanjing Detention Center in November 2000. People from Nanjing 610 Office, the Gulou District 610 Office, and Gulou Police Station later arrested her and took her to the brainwashing center in Jurong Detention Center, where she was held for ten days. This is a large brainwashing center set up by the Nanjing 610 Office early-on during the persecution of Falun Gong.

In December 2000, Ms. Tang's phone was tapped. As soon as she stepped out the door, Ji Ming tracked her. Ji Ming is in charge of the Political and Security Section in the Gulou District. Zhou Ning and other people from Gulou Police Station subsequently arrested her, took her to the police station, and held her for three days.

Ji Ming and others tried force her to confess, threatened her, and enticed her with a chance to be released if she signed the guarantee statement that they had prepared in advance. To oppose them, she threatened suicide. They stopped her and handcuffed her, and then took her to Nanjing Detention Center. They placed her in criminal detention, listing her crime as being "against the government."

She was at the point of being taken to a forced labor camp, but because she was well-regarded at work and an excellent employee, her colleagues began to protest on her behalf. People from the hospital stepped forward to mediate. In the end, she was exempted from forced labor.

A month later, Zhou Ning from Gulou Police Station and the Children's Hospital Retirement Association picked her up and held her in the basement of the hospital. She was officially detained there and couldn't leave. She went on a hunger strike to protest her treatment and pointed out to the hospital that they were violating the law by setting up the underground prison. The hospital then transferred her to an unoccupied room in a hotel in the military area for detention. Wang, a political instructor from the Gulou Police Station, and Zhou Ning attempted forcing her to submit materials and write a guarantee statement.

After she turned them down, she was transferred to Gulou District Brainwashing Center. Around this time, the Gulou District 610 Office was harassing her husband, and he had a relapse of his illness. At that time, his family demanded her release. After they repeatedly talked to the people in charge of the hospital, Nanjing Children's Hospital too her back. By then, Ms. Tang had been held for more than five months.

On January 1, 2001, officers from Nanjing City 610 Office and Guyou District 610 Office arrested Mr. Wang and took him to the Gulou District Brainwashing Center. Due to the intense and continuous brainwashing, his blood pressure rose to 240. He was taken to the hospital affiliated with Nanjing University for treatment. After his situation stabilized, he was returned to the brainwashing center for further persecution.

Even though his blood pressure was unstable and he had a heart attack on April 27, the Nanjing City 610 Office had him put in a forced labor camp for a two-year term. The management office in Nanjing University has a strong sense of justice. When they learned of this, they appealed to the CCP Committee in Jiangsu Province for Mr. Wang's release. The communist committee allowed Mr. Wang to serve his term at home. During that period, people from Gulou District 610 Office ransacked his home and took away many Dafa materials.

Ji Ming, the person in charge of the Political and Security Section in Gulou Police Sub-Bureau, often hired strangers to break in repeatedly to ransack his home. The restrictions included a 5,000 yuan fine if they caught him leaving the house. They also installed tapping devices and a video-camera by his entrance. Ji Ming threatened him by saying, "If you don't like the rules we set, we'll take you to a forced labor camp."

After Mr. Wang's term was over, people from Nanjing City 610 Office, the Gulou District 610 Office, and the local community management committee often went to harass him, which turned his life upside down. Mr. Wang finally had to move and live with his daughter, however people from the 610 Office and police station still harassed him, which restricted his freedom. Zhou Ning, from Gulou Police Station, and Dong Kuiqin, from Hanzhongmen Police Station, even broke into his daughter's home to search his computer. These indignities left him deeply depressed.

The endless harassment and persecution injured him both mentally and physically. On June 20, 2008, Mr. Wang passed away at the age of 72.

Related articles:|Senior Professor Mr. Wang Zaiyuan Passes Away After Relentless Persecution