Chinese name:
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Case Description:

( Ms. Yuan Hairong, a resident of Taian City, Shandong Province was arrested in October 2018 for not renouncing her faith in Falun Gong, a spiritual and meditation discipline that has been persecuted by the communist regime since 1999.

After the detention center refused to admit her due to her high blood pressure, the police frequently harassed her and pressured her husband and brother to try to make plead guilty for her faith.

With tremendous pressure from both the police and her family, Ms. Yuan suffered from a heart attack and died three months later. She was 57.

Released on Bail due to High Blood Pressure

A group of officers broke into Ms. Yuan's home at 7:30 pm on October 25, 2018. They arrested her, ransacked her home and confiscated her Falun Gong books, cellphone and other Falun Gong related items.

The police interrogated Ms. Yuan overnight at Jieshan Town Police Station. She refused to answer their questions. The officers slapped her in the face and poured water on her. They forced her to stand for six hours and didn't allow her to use the restroom.

On the next afternoon, the police took her to the hospital for a physical checkup. She was found to have high blood pressure and then denied admission by the detention center. The police took her to another hospital and asked the doctor to perform MRI and ultrasonography on her – she had to cover the cost herself. After the extensive examination, the detention center still refused to take her.

She was brought back to Jieshan Town Police Station that evening and released on bail the next day.

Harassment and Intimidation Precedes Untimely Death

The police frequently harassed Ms. Yuan after she returned home.

When she went to the police station and demanded the police return items confiscated from her home, they kept her there and interrogated her for two hours.

After that, the police pressured her brother and other family members, asking them to persuade her to admit guilt and sign her case document at the police station. Ms. Yuan refused to comply.

The officers from Dongping County Domestic Security Division contacted Ms. Yuan again on January 16, 2019. She still refused to go to the police station and didn't open the door for them when they came in the afternoon.

The officers stayed around and returned in the evening. This time, Ms. Yuan's husband opened the door. The officers threatened him that if Ms. Yuan didn't appear at the police station to accept interrogation, they would arrest her forcibly.

Ms. Yuan insisted that she didn't violate any law in practicing Falun Gong and refused to cooperate with the police.

When the officers threatened her again on January 19, her husband became very anxious and managed to get her to go to the police station with him. Once there, she still refused to sign the case document fabricated by the police against her. Her husband hit and kicked her in front of the police and then signed her name on the document for her.

After they returned home, Ms. Yuan's husband kept pressuring her to give up practicing Falun Gong. The police also harassed her from time to time.

Facing mounting pressure from her loved ones and the police, Ms. Yuan suffered from a heart attack and passed away on January 31, 2019.

Related articles:|Woman Dies from Heart Attack After Being Pressured by Police and Family to Renounce Her Faith