Chinese name:
Steel worker
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Case Description:

( Ms. Zhang Wei was a retired worker from Jinan Steel Group. Because of her faith in Falun Gong, she was arrested multiple times by security guards of her company.

She went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong in 1999 and was taken back to her workplace. She was held at a conference room for more than one month, during which time the management arranged three shifts of workers to watch her around the clock. There was no heating in the room. Her company also deducted from her salaries more than 3,000 yuan of expenses incurred by several people to take her from Beijing back to Jinan.

She was held in the conference room for a few days before being asked to resume work during the day and return to the room at night. This situation lasted for more than three months, during which time she wasn't able to go home and celebrate the Chinese New Year. Though she was allowed to attend her parents' birthday celebrations, she was escorted to and from the celebrations by her monitors.

Once her parents were both hospitalized. As soon as she arrived at the hospital, her manager Gao Jianhua followed her there. Gao then received a phone call from Party Secretary Zhao Xinhua, who asked him to ask if Ms. Zhang still practiced Falun Gong. She said yes and Zhao said on the phone to “get her back in.” Thus, she was taken back to the conference room to be watched when her parents needed her the most.

For about six months in late 1999 and early 2000, there were people monitoring Ms. Zhang's family members outside her apartment building.

Ms. Zhang went to Beijing again on October 1, 2000 to appeal for Falun Gong. She was arrested upon returning home and kept in detention for one month. She refused to renounce her faith and was subsequently given three years of forced labor at Wangcun Labor Camp.

Her company had people monitor her all the time after she was released from the labor camp. She was arrested on October 3, 2007 and held at a brainwashing center for more than four months. She was brutally beaten but held firm to her faith. She was given three years of forced labor again.

Ms. Zhang was beaten in the labor camp. Her whole body was sollowen. Once the guards tried to force her to curse at the founder of Falun Gong. She bit her tongue and broke it in order to not say bad words against her will. The guards stopped the beating and sent her to a hospital to have her broken tongue reattached.

The guards ordered her to curse at the founder of Falun Gong again not long afterwards. She bit and broke her tongue a second time. Since her injuries were not fully healed, her tongue couldn't be reattached as the first time.

Ms. Zhang was released in 2011. She had edema, poor vision, and mumbled speech. She died on January 24, 2019.

Related Article in Chinese:


Related articles: