Chinese name:
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Chongqing Women's Prison
Case Description:

( A retired worker in Chongqing recently lost her battle against the Chinese communist regime's persecution of Falun Gong (also known as Falun Dafa), a mind-body practice based on the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance. She had spent more than half of the past 10 years in prison for persevering in telling others about her positive experience with Falun Gong and for exposing the persecution covered up by communist propaganda.

Zhou Jibi, 68, died on June 9, 2018. Her most recent illegal arrest was on July 21, 2014. Three months later she was sentenced to 3.5 years and transferred to Chongqing Women's Prison. She was tortured, released on medical parole, and forced to report to the local Political and Legal Affairs Committee each week.

Broken Ankle Healed Overnight

Ms. Zhou broke her ankle in 2005. Doctors put a steel pin in her ankle to help it heal. When they removed the pin a few months later, her foot was still very swollen and painful, and she had trouble wearing shoes. To reduce the pain she tried massage and physical therapy, but nothing really worked.

One day on her way home from a massage session, she ran into a friend who promised that she would soon recover if she remembered to recite “Falun Dafa is good” and “Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance is good.”

She began reciting the verses right away. That night she slept very well without being disturbed at all by the ankle pain.

The next morning she felt something different and noticed that the swelling in her ankle was gone. She took a few steps and no longer felt any sharp pain. She was elated and told her husband Yin Zhihai.

The couple, both retired workers in Tongliang County, was eager to learn more about Falun Gong. They talked to Ms. Zhou’s friend and soon began practicing Falun Gong.

Twice Imprisoned for Her Faith

To help others benefit from Falun Gong and see through the lies of the Chinese Communist Party spread via its propaganda for the purpose of justifying the persecution, Ms. Zhou decided to reach out to others and inform them about the persecution and to affirm that Falun Gong is good.

Agents from the local 610 Office, an extra-legal agency established solely for executing the persecution of Falun Gong, broke into Ms. Zhou's home on May 23, 2009. They seized her and her husband and confiscated their belongings, including several tens of thousands of yuan in cash.

The couple were detained at the Tongliang County Detention Center. Ms. Zhou was sentenced to 3 years and Mr. Yin to 3.5 years. They were transferred to the Yongchuan Prison in Chongqing.

Ms. Zhou was arrested again on July 21, 2014, for talking to people about Falun Gong in the Dazu District of Chongqing. The Dazu District police searched her home in the afternoon and confiscated a picture of Master Li Hongzhi, the founder of Falun Gong; over 30 copies of Falun Gong informational materials; and a Falun Gong exercise introduction DVD.

She was sentenced 3.5 years three months later and transferred to the Chongqing Women's Prison. She wasn't granted medical parole until she was in critical condition as a result of torture.

Related articles:|Twice Imprisoned for Her Faith, Chongqing Woman Dies on Medical Parole