Chinese name:
Liuzhentun Village, Huanyang County
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Case Description:

( On May 5, 2008, Liuzhentun Township Police Station deputy Huang Wei went to practitioner Li Tinglin's residence, accompanied by four policemen. After ransacking Mr. Li's house they arrested him and his son Li Junqi. Li Tinglin is in his eighties.

Li Tinglin's wife asked, "Why do you arrest my son? Has he done anything illegal?" A young policeman surnamed Zhang held her and pushed her to the ground, kicking her numerous times and slapped her dozens of times. Then he threatened, "Don't say a word. If you do, I'll beat you again!" Li Tinglin's wife would not give up. She continued to try to reason with the policemen, but the same ruthless officer beat her again. He stomped on her, kicked her and slapped her face. Yet, the old woman still would not stop trying to reason with him and stop the illegal arrest. In extreme pain, she struggled to stand up to protect her son. Zhang beat her for the third time and pushed her down again. She was covered in bruises, her face was swollen, and she could not breathe well.

Li Tinglin and his son Li Junqi were detained in the police station, locked up in two different rooms and brutally tortured. One policeman slapped Li Tinglin's face dozens of times. Consequently, he felt dizzy and his face was burning and hurt extremely badly. From the next room, his son Li Junqi's constant, miserable and painful screams were clearly audible. When the policemen were tired, they tied them onto bed frames until the following afternoon. Father and son were eventually transferred to the county detention center. However, because Li Junqi was still unconscious, the detention center officials refused to admit him.

Her health deteriorated from then on and she lost the ability to take care of herself. She later passed away, though the timing remains to be investigated. Her husband, Mr. Li Tinglin, died in October 2014, after suffering years of harassment, beatings and torture during multiple arrests and detention. He was 83.

Related articles:|The Crimes of the Huaiyang County Police|Henan Man Dies Four Months after Being Released from Detention for His Faith