Chinese name:
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Case Description:

( A 66-year-old man in Mudanjiang City, Heilongjiang Province suffered ten years of torture while imprisoned for his faith. He never recovered from abuse-induced injuries and health problems after he was released in 2011. He died on October 31, 2017.

Mr. Huang Guodong was arrested in February 2001 and sentenced to 10 years in prison months later for refusing to renounce Falun Gong, a spiritual discipline being persecuted by the Chinese communist regime. He was not allowed to file an appeal.

Guards at Mudanjiang Prison subjected Mr. Huang to various forms of torture. They once shocked his genitals and anus with electric batons, and also beat him on a regular basis. The decade-long torture caused irreversible damage and eventually claimed his life.

Arrest, Interrogation with Torture, and Sentencing

Mr. Huang returned home one February night in 2001 to find two police officers waiting inside his house. They took him to Nanshan Police Station, where he was interrogated with torture.

Deputy chief Miao Qiang and his officers hung Mr. Huang up by the handcuffs for a whole day. They beat him so badly that he passed out multiple times. They stabbed his ribs with toothpicks to wake him up before resuming the beating.

By the time the marathon torture session ended, Mr. Huang had become incontinent and his head had become extremely swollen. There were also bloodstains everywhere in the torture chamber.

Days later, Mr. Huang was moved to a local detention center, where the torture continued. Due to his injuries, he wasn’t able to keep food down for two straight weeks. His wife repeatedly requested his release, but to no avail.

Mr. Huang also began having diarrhea. An inmate in charge of food preparation revealed that the meals given to Mr. Huang were laced with drugs.

In just a few months, Mr. Huang had been tortured to the point that he couldn’t walk, sit or talk, but he was still ordered to appear in court on December 12, 2001.

His family noted that he was carried into the courtroom, with his feet shackled. Several bailiffs held him down in a chair. Once a healthy man, he looked gaunt and kept moaning during the hearing.

As Mr. Huang was unable to answer questions, the presiding judge adjourned the session. No new hearing was ever held. Mr. Huang’s family soon learned that he had been sentenced to 10 years in prison.

While Mr. Huang was imprisoned, his wife Li Xiuqin and their son were also arrested in August 2004 for practicing Falun Gong. Police confiscated 50,000 yuan in cash from their home.

Constant Abuse at Mudanjiang Prison

Mr. Huang was constantly abused throughout his incarceration at Mudanjiang Prison.

For a period in 2003, he was forced to stitch soccer balls from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. every day, during which time the only food he was given was a small steamed bun. If he failed to finish his daily quota, he had to bring the work back to his cell and get it done there.

Guards Zhang Jiawen and Wang Jijun shocked him with three electric batons simultaneously on September 20, 2004. They hung him up from a metal fence afterwards.

Guards Yu Fugang, Wu Xuejun, He Guangsheng, Li Jun and Pei Shenglie beat him savagely on March 8, 2005.

Mr. Huang was given 15 days of solitary confinement on February 23, 2006. He wasn’t given enough bedding and it was so cold that he couldn’t fall asleep. The guards only gave him one small steamed bun to eat every day. One day, they shocked his genitals and anus with electric batons. He was incontinent for a long time afterwards.

Several guards gave him a savage beating on April 18, 2006. He couldn’t stand it and hit his head on a heater pipe, causing him to bleed profusely. The guards handcuffed and shackled him, and gave him another 15 days in solitary confinement.

Mr. Huang was again sent to solitary confinement less than two months later, on June 3. He was again shocked with electric batons.

The prison held a meeting on March 30, 2007 to defame Falun Gong. Mr. Huang called out, “Don’t slander my Master [the founder of Falun Gong]!”

The guards punched and kicked him. They also shocked him with electric batons until he couldn’t move. He was next put into solitary confinement for 8 days, during which time he was shackled to a floor ring and couldn’t stand or move around. The guards also beat him from time to time.

He had bloody urine for a long time afterward.

The guards put him in solitary confinement again on April 2, 2007. As soon as they let him out, they forced him to do hard labor.

The prison began to use a new torture method on imprisoned Falun Gong practitioners in October 2009. Mr. Huang was tied up and had his mouth taped shut before he was repeatedly doused with cold water. He developed high fevers afterwards. The guards then used this torture on him again, before he had time to recover. He was subjected to this torture seven times.

Related articles:|Heilongjiang Man Dies After Decade Long Imprisonment