Chinese name:
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Case Description:

( Two officers broke into Ms. Chen Boying's home on the night of July 20, 1999, hours after the Chinese Communist Party openly launched the persecution of Falun Gong. They tried, unsuccessfully, to force the Shanghai resident to practicing Falun Gong. They returned two days later to ransack her place and confiscated her Falun Gong books. They pressured her landlord to evict her.

Ms. Chen went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong in July 2000 and was arrested. She was taken back to Shanghai to be detained. Four police officers hung her up at the gate of the local detention center because she did the Falun Gong exercises. They did't let her down until she passed out.

She went to Beijing again in October 2000 to appeal for Falun Gong. While unfurling a banner in Tiananmen Square, she was knocked down by several officers. She refused to let go of her banner and was dragged around the Square. The police punched and kicked her. They stomped on her chest and she could barely breathe.

The police snatched her banner and tossed her into a police cruiser, where some other officers shocked her with electric batons.

Ms. Chen was next moved from one detention center to another. She was brutally beaten whereever she was sent.

By the time she was taken back to Minghang Detention Center in Shanghai, she had become incontient and suffered from concussion and kidney bleeding. She also had bruises all over her body, and she could't bend her knees due to her injuries. Even some inmates shed tears upong seeing what she had gone through.

Ms. Chen was given two years of forced labor in 2001. She was forced to do unpaid labor for long periods of time. She developed high blood pressure and had trouble breathing and walking. The guards later moved her to a different ward where she was forced to sit on a small stool from 6:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. every day. She was only allowed three 5-minute bathroom breaks. As a result, she didn't have any bowel movement in four months. Her bottom festered and her pants were stuck to her pus. During the winter, the inmates soaked her feet in ice cold water every night.

She passed out several times during her labor camp detention.

Ms. Chen was arrested in March 2004 and sent to Jinshan District Detention Center. The police didn't give her any water or food during the first two days. They then took turns interrogating her with torture. They also held a lit cigarette in front of her eyes for a long time. She couldn't see as a result.

Ms. Chen was later given two years of forced labor. She was held in a small room in the summer and she suffered a heat stroke.

Ms. Chen moved in with her older sister after she was released in 2006, and the police immediately sent people to monitor her there. She lay in bed for three months and as soon as she was able to walk, she moved out to rent her own place, which was put under surveillance for the next two years.

Having had worked for 18 years before her arrest, Ms. Chen wasn't given any pension benefits she was entitled to. She filed a complaint and was evetually give a low income subsidy of 550 yuan per month, when the average monthly rent was 1,000 yuan.

The police also threatened Ms. Chen's family members. Her 90-year-old father and younger sister were under tremendous pressure and eventaully cut ties with her.

Ms. Chen's daughter got married in 2010 and she moved in with her. The police pressured her son-in-law to drive her out. Her husband divorced her on October 25, 2010.

Ms. Chen was passing out Falun Gong materials on February 1, 2015 when she was seized by police. She suddently went blank and fell face down with her knees banged on a stone step. She was issued a formal arrest warrant on March 11, 2015. The detention center doctor noted she had high blood pressure and sent her to a hospital. Her older sister paid 3,000 yuan on the third day to get her released on bail.

She moved in with her younger brother but left his home on April 20, 2015 when she learned that she was scheduled to appear in court on May 10, 2015.

The police put her on the wanted list and the local court sentenced her to five years in prison in her absence on June 29, 2016.

Ms. Chen died on October 3, 2017.

Related Article in Chinese:


Related articles:|A Year of Persecution by the Shanghai Judicial System