Chinese name:
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Case Description:

( Ms. Luo Junling was a resident of Huili County, Sichuan Province.

In November 2002, Ms. Luo and three other Falun Gong practitioners were arrested and sent to the Panzhihua Detention Center, where they were tortured by officers from the Panzhihua National Security Division.

Ms. Luo was twice interrogated outside the detention center at night.

The first time, as soon as she stepped out, Ms. Luo was handcuffed and her head was covered with a black plastic bag. Due to difficulty in breathing, she became very sweaty. She was then hung up by her handcuffs for twenty-four hours, and was beaten and shocked with electric batons. When she returned to the detention center, she had wounds all over her body.

The second time, she was taken out on a cold winter night, wearing only a thin layer of clothes. She suffered even more severe torture this time. She was hung up for two days. Officers Zhang Bailin and Tian Ping took turns torturing her. They burned her soles and palms with a lighter, struck her facial acupuncture points with wooden sticks, and beat her using a stool with metal legs.

The police beat her so hard that the stool broke into pieces. She lost consciousness several times, and they poured cold water on her to wake her up. She was almost numb at the end. A doctor hurriedly came and examined her, before returning her to the detention center.

She was unable to walk, had injuries all over her body, and her eye movements were slow. Because she had been hung up for so long, her hands remained cold and numb for more than six months.

In March 2003, Ms. Luo was given one year of forced labor and she suffered abuse at Nanmusi Women's Forced Labor Camp in Sichuan Province. She was hung up by her handcuffed wrists, tied up, shocked with electric batons, and deprived of sleep.

Six people watched her every day. If she closed her eyes, they would beat her. They didn't allow her to use the bathroom. Ms. Luo went on a hunger strike in protest.

When Ms. Luo was released on November 4, 2003, she was unable to speak and extremely emaciated and weak. She was also mentally traumatized, her back, legs and arms were covered with wounds. All of her teeth were loose due to the torture. She also suffered severe headaches.

Two months later, on the morning of January 2, 2004, she passed away. She was 39.

Related articles:|Factory Manager Ms. Luo Junling Died as a Result of Torture