Chinese name:
in her 80s
Inner Mongolia
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Case Description:

( A family in Chifeng City, Inner Mongolia was repeatedly targeted for their faith in Falun Gong.

In 2000, Ms. Zhang Guizhi, her husband Mr. Zhao Yu, their oldest daughter Ms. Zhao Guirong, and one of their sons-in-law, Mr. Jia Bin, were arrested. Ms. Zhang was detained for 22 days, Mr. Zhao and Ms. Zhao were both detained for 2 days, and Mr. Jia one day.

About seven officers broke into Ms. Zhang's home on March 29, 2002 and arrested her, her husband, her son-in-law Mr. Jia, and two relatives. All of their Falun Gong books and materials were confiscated.

Mr. Zhao was released after one day. Ms. Zhang was detained for 22 days and forced to pay 1,000 yuan. She still had more than 50 yuan in her commissary account at the time of her release, but the local detention center refused to return the money to her.

About five officers broke into Ms. Zhao Guirong's home on May 2, 2005 and confiscated her home. Her parents, who were visiting her at the time, were arrested with her. Her son, 22-year-old Wang Lei, and her sister Ms. Zhao Chunxia's 12-year-old daughter Jia Xuedong were briefly detained.

Two officers yanked Ms. Zhang's hair hard during the interrogation. A third officer slapped Mr. Zhao in the face for more than two dozens of times.

Ms. Zhang and Mr. Zhao were released the next morning. A few days later, the police went to ranksack Ms. Zhao Guirong's home again. Ms. Zhao was later given one year and nine months of forced labor.

Ms. Zhang and Mr. Zhao were arrested at home on July 7, 2015 and had their Falun Gong books and materials confiscated.

While interrogated at the local police station, an officer asked if Mr. Zhao had filed a criminal complaint against former Chinese dictator Jiang Zemin. He said yes and was caged. He refused to sign the interrogation records. He and his wife were not given any food or water. They were also denied restroom use.

Four officers caught the couple distributing Falun Gong materials on October 7, 2015 and searched their bags and electric bike before letting them go.

Two months later, on December 12, 2015, the couple was arrested with their son-in-law, Mr. Wu Jinggang. The couple was arrested hours later and didn't know there Mr. Wu was sent.

Mr. Wu was arrested again on June 13, 2016 after a colleague reported him for talking to his students about Falun Gong.

The repeated arrests of her and her loved ones took a toll on Ms. Zhang's health. She died on February 11, 2017, the Lantern Festival.

Related Article in Chinese:


Related articles: