Chinese name:
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Case Description:

( Ms. Chen Chunmei was a head nurse at Nanjing City Children's Hospital in Jiangsu Province. Her husband, Mr. Yang Xingfu, was a retired military officer. The couple began to practice Falun Gong in 1996 and soon became healthy.

The couple's home was ransacked ten times after the persecution of Falun Gong began. Ms. Chen was given one year of forced labor, and Mr. Yang was thrice given forced labor for a total of six years. They filed a complaint against Jiang Zemin on une 24, 2015 for intiating the persecution of Falun Gong. The police harassed them at home and at work afterwards.

Ms. Chen was first arrested on August 2, 2000 and detained for 20 days. She went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong on September 29, 2000 and was twice arrested. She managed to escape both times.

Officer Song broke into her home on March 1, 2001 and kept her detained for 40 days.

Ms. Chen was walking back home from work on the night of September 5, 2001 when three officers, who had been waiting outside of her apartment building, seized her and took her to a brainwashing center. She went on a hunger strike in protest and was released 42 days later.

Ms. Chen was detained for 33 days between April and May 2005, during which time the police ransacked her home multiple times when no one was around.

Eleven officers showed up at her home on April 20, 2012 and confiscated her valuables worth more than 30,000 yuan. She was forced to take unknown drugs and began to exhibit abnormal conditions. The local detention center declined to take her, and the police kept her in the local detention center for 36 days and brainwashing center for 40 days. By the time she was released, she had been reduced to just skin and bones.

Ms. Chen was given one year of forced labor to serve outside of labor camp on November 20, 2012. Since then she had been suffering from declining health. She had nose and gum bleeding. She coughed out blood and had bloody stool as well. She suffered from diarrhea and memory loss. She suspected that the unknown drugs caused all those symptoms.

She died on December 24, 2016. She was 62.

Related Article in Chinese:


Related articles:|Retired Military Officer Files Criminal Complaint Against Former Chinese Dictator