Chinese name:
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Case Description:

( Ms. Xu Huizhu’s family and friends lost contact with her in late July 2016. They tried to visit her in August, only to discover her dead body. It appeared that she had been dead for days.

It was later confirmed that the 78-year-old retired teacher in Guangzhou City had been arrested and sent to Huangpu Brainwashing Center in July. Ms. Xu was targeted because she had filed a criminal complaint against former Chinese dictator Jiang Zemin for ordering the persecution of Falun Gong that resulted in her repeated detentions in the past.

Another local Falun Gong practitioner, Ms. Wu Yangzhen, who was sent to the same brainwashing center in November 2016, revealed what she had heard from a staff member named Xu Shaoqi.

Xu pointed to a bed and said to Ms. Wu, “Xu Huizhu slept on this bed when she was here. She died a few days after she was released.”

Repeated Arrests Precede Untimely Death

Ms. Xu used to suffer from poor health and had to wear a winter jacket in the summer. Her health dramatically improved not long after she took up the practice of Falun Gong in 1996.

Having had firsthand experience with Falun Gong, Ms. Xu never wavered in her faith after the persecution began in 1999. The local police arrested her multiple times and kept her at the same brainwashing center and other facilities for various lengths of time.

Ms. Xu was first arrested and sent to the brainwashing center in 2001. She was arrested again three years later.

Her relatives reported her missing in September 2012 and soon realized that the police had arrested her and ransacked her home. She was again sent to the brainwashing center. The staff there released her two weeks later.

Ms. Xu filed a criminal complaint against Jiang Zemin in July 2015, only to be arrested two months later. Officers pinched her arms so hard that her skin turned blue. They also hit her with water bottles and threatened to harvest her organs if she refused to sign their prepared statements. She wasn’t released until December 25, 2015. The police then had three people shadow her on a daily basis.

Ms. Xu was arrested and sent to the brainwashing center in February 2016. Though she was released one month later, the police took her back to the center in July.

This brainwashing center is housed in the building of Guangzhou Tianlu Equestrian Club. Ms. Li Xiaolin, a math professor at Guangzhou University, was persecuted to death there on June 28, 2002, less than 24 hours after her arrest.

Related articles:|Guangdong Woman, 78, Dies Weeks After She Was Sent to Brainwashing Center