Chinese name:
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Masanjia Labor Camp
Case Description:

( Ms. Liu Guijin survived the 1976 Tangshan earthquake in Hebei Province that claimed hundreds of thousands of lives, but she had to deal with her injuries for the next 18 years. Every day she struggled with her disability, concussion-related complications, and a heart problem.

In the depths of despair, she came across Falun Gong, a self-cultivation practice based on the principle of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance. Shortly after she began the practice in 1994, all her symptoms disappeared.

Her healthy and happy life, however, came to a halt when the Chinese Communist Party launched the persecution of Falun Gong in 1999.

Because she refused to give up Falun Gong, she was repeatedly arrested, sentenced, and tortured. She was exposed to extreme heat and cold, made to wear a heavy shackle for 20 days, savagely beaten and shocked with electric batons until she was in a coma, and injected with nerve-damaging drugs.

After years of such treatment, her body healed by practicing Falun Gong was severely damaged again. She eventually passed away on the evening of November 19, 2015. She was 65.

Ms. Liu Guijin

Arrested, Tortured in Forced Labor Camp

Ms. Liu was arrested for the third time on May 13, 2008, at her home in Beijing and ordered to spend two years in a forced labor camp. Shortly before the Beijing Olympics, the police transferred her to the notorious Masanjia Forced Labor Camp in Shenyang, Liaoning Province, along with more than 50 other practitioners arrested around the same time in Beijing.

She had a stroke and became paralyzed after being tortured in the labor camp. She was still forced to do hard labor even though she didn't have any feeling in her leg and couldn't walk.

She developed a pressure ulcer on her buttocks after being forced to sit for long periods of time. The ulcer never healed completely and eventually took her life years later.

Surveillance and Harassment Prompted Her to Leave Home Years Ago

Disabled and heartsick, Ms. Liu was released from the labor camp after two years, but the police still monitored and harassed her on a regular basis.

After the police discovered that local Falun Gong practitioners were going to visit her, they attempted to arrest her again, using the excuse that she was still in contact with other practitioners.

The police attempted to arrest her several times, but she escaped each time. She left home and hid from the police from then on. With paralyzed legs, life was very tough for her. When she fell, it took her a very long to stand up.

After years of living on the run, her health deteriorated. Due to serious complications of the pressure ulcer, she passed away on November 19, 2015.

Related articles:|Earthquake Survivor Succumbs to the Persecution of Her Spiritual Belief in Falun Gong