Chinese name:
Employee of Jinan Clothing Company
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Jinan Detention Center
Case Description:

( Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Chen Xiumei of Jinan died in a detention center on February 28, 2016, after being detained for eight months. Her body was cremated on March 31, 2016.

Ms. Chen Xiumei, 59, died on February 28, 2016

Her husband was a medical expert with many years of experience and concluded that both the detention center and prison hospital should be held responsible for his wife's death.

The Arrest

Ms. Chen was forcibly taken from her house on the morning of June 24, 2015, by officers from the local police station and 610 Office. They ransacked her house and took many personal items and Falun Gong books.

The next day they went to her other residence. They confiscated more personal items and also took her husband to the police station. Her husband was released that night; Ms. Chen was taken to a detention center.

The landlord who rented the house to Ms. Chen was arrested and released the next day. Another practitioner who was in contact with Ms. Chen was also arrested and released a month later.

The family learned that, long before the arrest, the police department had monitored Ms. Chen’s activities and had placed a monitoring device on her car. They ordered the local police station to carry out the arrest.

Held in Detention Center

The authorities detained Ms. Chen for two months. Her case was sent to the procuratorate but was not officially filed, so Ms. Chen should have been released. Instead, she was placed on trial several times, which caused her to have a mental breakdown and suffer from depression.

Ms. Chen's husband hired four attorneys for her, one of whom told the husband that she had become mentally unstable. The family requested her release for medical treatment, but the detention center continually delayed her release.

Dies in a Detention Center

Her first medical appointment was eventually set for February 29, 2016. The day before the appointment, Ms. Chen's husband received a phone call and rushed to the hospital, only to find that Ms. Chen had died.

He asked to see the surveillance video and the electrocardiogram. After reviewing all the information that he could get, he concluded that both the detention center and prison hospital should be held responsible for Ms. Chen's death.

Ms. Chen's body was cremated on March 31, 2016, after the authorities pressured her family. Only her immediate family witnessed the funeral ceremony, with a dozen police officers monitoring the whole process.

Parties responsible for Ms. Chen's death:

Zhao Ruoren, head of Jinan Detention Center: +86-133-35129539

Mr. Yang, police officer, Jinan Detention Center: +86-531-82806868

Mr. Guo, officer, Quanchenglu Police Station: +86-178-53178578

Related articles:|Jinan Woman Dies as Result of Persecution in Detention Center