In the beginning of winter in 2001, two-year-old Tianhao visited his grandmother's home, and noticed that the house was empty and covered with a layer of dust. He immediately thought of his mother, grandmother, aunt and uncle. With tears in his eyes, little Tianhao said to his father, "There used to be lots of people in this house, but now there are only you and me left." His daddy did not know how to talk to a small child about a heartbreaking subject in the middle of the cold winter.

Little Tianhao

Tianhao's mother, Dong Jingya (back), and his grandmother, Ma Lianxiao (front)

Back then, Tianhao's maternal grandmother, Ma Lianxiao, was illegally detained in Liaoning Province Prison Administration Bureau's General Hospital where the police had her hands handcuffed and tied to the bed for force-feeding. Tianhao's aunt, Dong Jingzhe (Tianhao's mother's youngest sister) was suffering cruel tortures in Longshan Forced Labor Camp in Shenyang, Liaoning Province. Due to severe beatings, Dong Jingzhe's eyes were bleeding. Tianhao's mother, Dong Jingya, escaped the police roundup, but she was forced to flee from home and go into hiding. Since then, the police often showed up at Tianhao's home unexpectedly, hoping to catch his mother if she should return. Sometimes the police would break in during the night and the commotion would wake up little Tianhao from his sleep. Each time, Tianhao would become terrified and start screaming and crying. Tianhao's childhood is now marked with horrific memories of the ferocious policemen.

Little Tianhao's maternal grandmother, Ma Lianxiao, worked at Architecture Science Research Institute in Liaoning Province. Tianhao's mother, Dong Jingya, was an architect at Liaoning Province Architecture Design Institute. Tianhao's uncle, (or his youngest aunt's husband) Sun Shiyou, was a project manager at an advertisement firm. Tianhao's youngest aunt, Dong Jingzhe, (or his mother's youngest sister) was an advertisement designer. Tianhao's mother, maternal grandmother, youngest aunt and uncle are Falun Gong practitioners. They follow Falun Gong's cultivation principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance and try to be better people in every aspect of their lives. Because of their Falun Gong cultivation practice, they have become very healthy and good people. They were very diligent in their respective careers. They were also popular among their colleagues and clients and received a lot of praise. Tianhao's father does not practice Falun Gong, but he has witnessed the process whereby his family and relatives improved their health and morality from it. He has also witnessed the absurdity and cruelty of the persecution.

After Tianhao's maternal grandmother started practicing Falun Gong in 1996, the many types of illnesses that had tormented her for years disappeared without medical treatment, including skin disease, heart disease, low blood pressure, gastrointestinal disease, uterine fibromyoma, breast adenosis and an esophagus problem. On December 3, 1999, she went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong, but she ended up being arrested and thrown into Shenyang Women's Ziqiang School (a type of prison facility) in Shenyang, Liaoning Province. In May 2001, she was arrested again for clarifying the truth about the persecution of Falun Gong, and imprisoned first in Shenyang City Detention Center and then later in Shenyang Province Prison Administration Bureau General Hospital. In December 2001, she and Tianhao's youngest aunt both went on a hunger strike to protest the illegal imprisonment and persecution. They were not released until they were at death's door. Their colleagues and neighbors commented, "We shall protest if anyone calls you bad people!" On July 11, 2003, Tianhao's grandmother went to her workplace to clarify the truth about Falun Gong, but she ended up being arrested again and taken to Shenyang City Detention Center. She was then illegally sentenced to eight years in prison. After she went on a hunger strike to protest the persecution, the police took back the so-called "notice of the legal sentence." On October 13, 2003, the police notified her family to pick her up. At that point she was barely breathing.

In March 2005, Shenyang City State Security Bureau abducted Tianhao's uncle, youngest aunt, grandmother and mother because they were involved in the attempt to rescue Ms. Gao Rongrong, who was severely disfigured by police from Longshan Forced Labor Camp. In addition, the police ransacked their homes and subjected them to severe torture.

Tianhao's uncle Sun Shiyou (or Tianhao's aunt's husband)

Tianhao's aunt Dong Jingzhe (or Tianhao's mother's younger sister)

On March 5, 2005, Tiexi Criminal Police Brigade from Shenyang City Public Security Bureau started interrogating Tianhao's uncle, Sun Shiyou, using violent torture methods. The police exposed his eyes to direct, strong light, shocked his genitals with stun batons, impaled his fingernails with pins, and then continued to torture him with force-feeding at the Forced Labor Camp Hospital in Liaoning Province. From March to June of 2005, policemen at Masanjia Forced Labor Camp subjected Tianhao's youngest aunt, Dong Jingzhe, to the barbaric torture of force-feeding, and injected over 240 bottles of unknown drugs into her body (each bottle contains 500 milliliters of fluid). As a result, her internal organs started to fail, leading to her paralysis from the waist down. From March to April of 2005, Liaoning Province Prison Administration Bureau's General Hospital injected Tianhao's grandmother unknown drugs for over consecutive 40 days until her right arm became numb and immobilized. The drugs also caused her to vomit, experience dizziness, and lose the ability to walk. The police did not release Tianhao's uncle, aunt and grandmother until they were at death's door.

Because of the tortures at Masanjia Forced Labor Camp, Tianhao' mother suffered from gastroesophageal reflux. In addition, she was losing her vision, her kidneys were failing and she had myocardial ischemia. In July 2005, she turned off the cassette player when it was playing contents that slandered Falun Gong. In retaliation the police at Masanjia Forced Labor Camp chained her to the bedrails. At the time of writing, Tianhao's mother is still detained there and is subject to the brutal torture of force-feeding and being injected with unknown drugs daily. She has been on a hunger strike for over four months, and she is in a critical condition.

Several years have passed by quickly. In 2005, Tianhao's grandmother's home is almost deserted. Tianhao has been separated with his mother for over four years. He cannot begin to imagine what his mother might look like after many years of inhumane treatment and tortures. He wishes that the persecution against kindhearted Falun Gong practitioners would end as soon as possible. He hopes that his mother will be able to return home safe and sound. He hopes to see his mother, grandmother, aunt and uncle at his grandmother's house again.