(Clearwisdom.net) Ms. Zhang Lanhua, 64 years old, was a resident of Dongqiao Street in Wanquan Town, Wanquan County, Zhangjiakou District, Hebei Province. She originally suffered from many ailments such as pains in her leg, back, and head, and she suffered from heart disease and neurasthenia. After Ms. Zhang started to practice Falun Gong in 1996, all her symptoms disappeared, and she could once again do household chores. After July 20, 1999, when the persecution of Falun Gong began, the village Party secretaries Jia Gui and Wei Fengying extorted 1,000 yuan from Zhang Lanhua because she persisted in practicing Falun Gong.

In November 2000, personnel from the Wanquan Town Police Station took Ms. Zhang away from her residence. They then ransacked her home without a search warrant and confiscated her belongings. They took away all of her Falun Dafa books, her videotapes of Master Li Hongzhi's lectures, and her truth clarifying materials. They viciously assaulted Ms. Zhang Lanhua during her detention, shocking her with electric batons, a brutal torture which blistered her mouth. Ms. Zhang did not give up her practice or belief in Falun Dafa. The authorities forced her son, a non-practitioner, to write the so-called guarantee statement without her knowledge, and locked him up for 24 hours. They only released him after extorting 2,000 yuan from him.

After Ms. Zhang returned home, her health was consistently bad, and she kept having nosebleeds. Village officials frequently came to her house to harass her, which caused her old illnesses to return. Ms. Zhang had been living a financially precarious existence all along, so after having money extorted from her twice, she was in extreme financial difficulty. Because the minds of her family members had been poisoned by the slanderous propaganda, they were afraid of being persecuted and did not dare expose the authorities' criminal acts. Ms. Zhang was sent to a hospital and spent another 6,000 yuan on medical bills, but she was still not cured. On August 16, 2004, Ms. Zhang Lanhua passed away.