Ms. Yu Lianchun was born in 1944. She was a native of Jinan City, Shandong Province and retiree of Dezhou City Power Plant. Because of her belief in "Truthfulness-Compassion-Tolerance" and her Falun Gong practice, she was illegally sentenced to three years at a forced labor camp in early February 2000. She served her sentence in Jinan Female Labor Camp. In December 2000, Yu Lianchun was tortured to death in Division Four of Jinan Female Labor Camp.

1. Woke up after brainwashing

In October 2000, after extended physical and mental torture at the labor camp, Yu Lianchun was forced to agree not to practice Falun Gong. Ten days later, she gradually realized that she had made a mistake and felt terrible. After they realized that she changed her mind, the camp guards ordered some collaborators* to work on her. They used isolation, intimidation, and lies to force her to abandon Dafa. The intense pressure drove her into total silence. For a long time, she spoke no words and showed no emotion. She ate little or nothing at all. She couldn't sleep at night. Sometimes she cried. Apparently, the forced brainwashing caused great mental trauma to Yu Lianchun.

2. Collaborators, encouraged by Policewoman Yang, killed Yu Lianchun

Yu Lianchun refused to participate in any Division Four activity. To increase the transformation rate (the total number of practitioners forced to renounce their belief in Falun Dafa), the labor camp authorities linked the team leader's salary, promotion and bonus to the rate. Division Four leader Yang received a promotion because of her cruelty perpetrated against Dafa practitioners. Yang had reached retirement age, but she managed to stay on the job. Whenever she found any Falun Gong practitioner who did something to her disliking, she would use an electric baton to shock them. She also encouraged criminal inmates and inmate leaders to arbitrarily torture the practitioners. Realizing that Yu Lianchun had still not renounced her belief, she ordered some collaborators to attack Yu every day. They insulted, threatened, and pushed her around all the time. They often called Yu into the office for questioning. Ms. Yang, prison guards on duty and some collaborators often used electric batons and other terrifying means to frighten Yu Lianchun, trying to force her into giving up Falun Gong. Yu Lianchun just kept silent. Finally one day, when Yu was working in the workshop, the on-duty guard and eight collaborators took her away.

At dinnertime, Yu Lianchun was carried to the workshop on the second floor. A collaborator dragged her from the stairs to our group site and dropped her to the floor and kicked her. Yang and the on-duty guard followed and watched this. Yang said to Yu Lianchun "Don't fake death," and then left.

Yu Lianchun laid on the floor face up. Her pale face had purple bruises. Her mouth was twisted on one side, and her face was out of shape. Her shirt was pulled up to her chest. Her underwear and breasts were exposed. Her pants were torn open with her lower abdomen exposed. Large areas of dark bruises could be seen. Her pants were wet from her urine. Her body was full of dirt.

Around 8:00 p.m., Yu Lianchun was called into the office by a guard. Camp director Liu was there. After a long time, Yu Lianchun slowly returned from the office. Then the eight collaborators who tortured Yu were called into the office one by one. After that Yu was called out again by the duty guard. She would not return again.

Later, one of the collaborators who participated in the beating revealed what happened: The eight collaborators used wooden boards, benches, shoes, hands, feet and fists to violently hit Yu Lianchun's head, face and chest. Even after she fell to the ground, they still pulled her up and continue beating her.

Till her death, Yu Lianchun did not say a word. The eight collaborators were: Ying Xia, Zhuang Li, Su Lili, Zhang Xiuling, Chen Lili, Ma Shengchun, Zhou Chunying and one other woman (name unknown). A week after Yu's death, of the eight collaborators who were responsible for her death, five were reassigned to work in other detention centers in Jinan City and three were reassigned to work at the Wangcun Labor Camp.

3. In memory of Yu Lianchun

Yu Lianchun used to suffer from severe health problems. She could not work and had filed for early retirement.

In 1997, she learned Falun Gong, and soon after became completely healthy. She was telling everyone she met how wonderful Falun Gong is. Because of her influence, her daughter also became a practitioner.

After the persecution in July 20, 1999, she went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong and never came home again. After her arrest, her 20-year-old daughter was forced to quit school and go to work. After Yu Lianchun's death, her daughter was not even allowed to see her mother's body. Before long, Yu's daughter was also arrested and detained at Wangcun Labor Camp.

The following people were involved in the death of Yu Lianchun

Jiang Lihang, head of Shandong Number One Female Labor Camp

Wang Qinghe, deputy head


Address: 20 Jiangshuiquan Road, Jinan City, Shandong Province

*Collaborators are former Falun Gong practitioners who have gone astray due to brainwashing and torture.

Submitted September 11, 2003