Name: Yue ShuxiaChinese Name: 岳淑霞Gender: FemaleAge: 73City: ChifengProvince: Inner MongoliaOccupation: N/ADate of Death: June 6, 2022Date of Most Recent Arrest: March 31, 2022Most Recent Place of Detention: Pingzhuang Police Station

While Ms. Yue Shuxia was released soon after she and her daughter were both arrested for practicing Falun Gong, the mental pressure from the arrest and police interrogation became the last straw that broke the camel’s back. Having endured two decades of persecution and served two prison terms for a total of seven years, Ms. Yue quickly lost her vision and her health was on a rapid decline. She passed away two months later, on June 6, 2022, at the age of 73.

Falun Gong, also known as Falun Dafa, is a spiritual discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

Taking Up Falun Gong

Before taking up Falun Gong, Ms. Yue, a resident in Chifeng City, Inner Mongolia, had a strong and competitive personality. She easily lost her temper over trivial things and wouldn’t easily forgive others. Because of her bad temper, she developed many ailments, including inflammation in her stomach, colon, and joints. Since her 20s, she had to take a handful of pills every day. In addition to her own health struggles, she was dealt another blow after her son developed schizophrenia and his wife divorced him. To prevent him from running out, the whole family had to take turns looking after him.

In 1996, upon hearing about Falun Gong’s tremendous health benefits, Ms. Yue took up the practice and soon saw her ailments disappearing one after another. She used to have many dietary restrictions, such as cold and solid food, but none caused any problem for her anymore.

Living by Falun Gong’s principles of Truthfulness, Compassion, Forbearance, she became much more considerate and was able to get along with others. Her practice also brought blessings to her son and his condition disappeared as well.

Ms. Yue’s daughter, Ms. Li Xiurong, was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2020 and the doctor predicted she only had a few months left. She then turned to Falun Gong and completely recovered through the practice.

First 3.5-year Prison Sentence

For raising awareness about the persecution, Ms. Yue, then 63, was arrested on April 15, 2012. It came only a day after her daughter was also arrested after being reported for distributing informational materials about Falun Gong.

The police submitted Ms. Yue’s case to the procuratorate, using the Falun Gong books and magazines confiscated from her home as prosecution evidence against her. After the prosecutor returned her case, citing insufficient evidence, the police pressured the prosecutor to indict Ms. Yue, which resulted in a 3.5-year sentence. She was taken to the Inner Mongolia Women’s Prison in late November 2012.

When her term ended on July 12, 2015, instead of releasing her, the police and residential committee staff members took her to the Chifeng Brainwashing Center for further persecution, under the directive of local 610 Office, an extralegal agency created specifically to persecute Falun Gong.

Second 3.5-year Prison Sentence

Ms. Yue was arrested again on November 5, 2017, after being reported for distributing Falun Gong materials. Two practitioners, Ms. Yang Cuiling and Ms. Wang Yanxin, were also arrested with her.

The three women stood trial at Karaqin Banner Court on March 27, 2018. Ms. Yang was sentenced to 4 years, Ms. Yue to 3.5 years, and Ms. Wang to 3 years. All were taken to the Inner Mongolia Women’s Prison in mid-July 2018. Ms. Yue was constantly beaten by the prison guards and deprived of sleep. She was released on May 4, 2021.

Last Arrest

Ms. Yue’s last arrest was on March 31, 2022, at home, together with her daughter. It came after her daughter was followed by the police, as she was reported for distributing Falun Gong materials and identified by the police through surveillance camera videos.

As Ms. Yue refused to cooperate with the police during her arrest, four officers put her on a blanket, and then each carried one corner to take her to the police car. She was then taken to the Pingzhuang Police Station and interrogated.

While Ms. Yue didn’t answer any of the police’s questions and was released soon after, the arrest and interrogation nevertheless dealt her a huge blow. Upon returning home, she soon became blind and developed many other symptoms. She passed away two months later on June 6, 2022.

Perpetrators’ contact information:
Wang Heran (王贺然), head of Chifeng City Domestic Security Office: +86-13904763585
Liu Yuzhu (刘玉柱), personnel of Yuanbaoshan District Political and Legal Affairs Committee: +86-476-3558686, +86-13947647996Cui Lixin (崔立新), deputy head of Yuanbaoshan District Police Department

(More perpetrators’ contact information is available in the original Chinese article.)