(Minghui.org) Ms. Liu Xiufen, a resident of Chaoyang City, Liaoning Province, has been repeatedly persecuted for refusing to renounce her faith since the Chinese communist regime started to target Falun Gong, a mind-body practice, in July 1999.

Ms. Liu, who is nearly 70 years old, began practicing Falun Gong in 1996. Her family was supportive of her at the time. After the persecution started, she went to Beijing to appeal and was arrested. She was taken to Masanjia Forced Labor Camp in Liaoning Province, where she was held for a year and forced to do unpaid work.

As she refused to renounce her faith, her term was extended for another year. She was released in 2001, only to be harassed by the police a month later. When she refused to give up practicing Falun Gong, the police gave her another two years of forced labor. The Masanjia Forced Labor Camp then extended her term for another three months when she still refused to renounce Falun Gong.

Ms. Liu was released on January 17, 2003. She went to Beijing to appeal again, and was arrested and taken back to Chaoyang City.

When Ms. Liu was incarcerated in the labor camp, her son picked up many bad habits and was sentenced to prison. Her husband, hopeless of the family’s future, sold off a piece of their land. He squandered the money and later died of cancer.

After Ms. Liu was released, she started repairing the road for the residents. At that time, the road was bumpy and not made from cement, thus accidents often happened. Everyone, the young and old, was grateful that Ms. Liu repaired the road.

For ten years, regardless of the weather, Ms. Liu continued to repair the road. To thank her, the residents offered her food and vegetables, but she declined. Later the residents secretly put the food, including rice, noodles, and cooking oil, in her tricycle.

Ignoring her contribution to the community, the Chinese communist regime arrested Ms. Liu every time when a political meeting was going to be held in Beijing, as they were trying to prevent her from going to Beijing to appeal again. Sometimes she was confined in a nursing home.

The 610 Office in Chaoyang City instructed the police to arrest practitioners on November 9, 2015, upon finding them filing criminal complaints against Jiang Zemin, the former head of the Chinese Communist Party who ordered the persecution. More than 200 people were arrested, nearly 100 people were detained, and over 50 people were sentenced, with the longest sentence being 12 years. Ms. Liu was sentenced to 5 years. Ms. Liu's 98-year-old mother cried upon learning of the sentence.

After Ms. Liu was released, she had no place to stay, as her land was sold off without her knowledge while she was imprisoned. She could only stay in a small house that was left behind by her cousin, who had died of an accident. There was no food in the house, with mice running around.

Ms. Liu was again arrested and taken to the local detention center around July 2021, after just being released from the detention center.

Related report:

Chaoyang, Liaoning Province: 300+ Arrested, 54 Tried, 14 Awaiting Trial for Suing Jiang Zemin