(Minghui.org) I was shocked to learn of Ms. Mao Kun’s passing. While serving 11.5 years for our shared faith in Falun Dafa, she was taken to a hospital emergency room around April 9, 2021. Before her family got a chance to submit their request for her medical parole, she died two days later at the age of 57. 

Falun Dafa, also known as Falun Gong, is a traditional mind-body discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999. 

Prior to her latest prison term, Ms. Mao of Chengdu City, Sichuan Province, had already been incarcerated for a total of eight years and nine months in a forced labor camp and later in prison.

I heard of Ms. Mao’s efforts of resisting and raising awareness of the persecution with righteous thoughts and righteous deeds several times. After I finally got a chance to meet her in person, and we got to know each other more.

Ms. Mao was a cheerful, kind, and outgoing woman. As a single mother, she was very capable and a good cook. She always smiled and spoke softly. Her son, around 35, is an excellent young man who is not influenced by the degenerate trends in society. He is very considerate and supported his mother in practicing her faith. 

Ms. Mao’s parents are still alive. She always took good care of her parents, especially when her father was hospitalized almost every winter.

I also heard that she had a younger brother working in the police system. Implicated in the persecution, he lost the chance to be promoted to the branch chief. Ms. Mao’s sister and brother-in-law were also implicated and each was sentenced to three years in prison. Currently her sister is serving time in Jianyang Woman’s Prison in Sichuan Province, while her brother-in-law’s location is unknown.

Ms. Mao said practicing Falun Gong was the most serious matter, and she could never slack off. She had very strict self-requirements. She slept three hours a day, got up at 3:20 a.m. to do two and half hours of exercise. She then read three chapters of Zhuan Falun (the main text of Falun Gong) and went out to talk to people about Falun Gong after lunch. She did the three things diligently until July 10, 2019, when she was arrested again.

Trusted at Work

Ms. Mao worked as an accountant and cashier for a private company. In 2007, she was arrested for her faith at work and later sentenced to five years. On the second day after she was released, her manager asked her to come back to work. The manager knew that Falun Gong is being persecuted and he trusted Ms. Mao the most. 

Ms. Mao told me that her manager always gave her the largest year-end bonus and an extra bonus as a gift for her birthday. He trusted her to manage any funds, no matter how large an amount it was. She also made good use of her three-hour round-trip bus commute every day to send text messages to the public about the persecution.

Despite her very high income, she later quit the job in order to join a project to raise awareness about the persecution.

Ms. Mao’s Apartment

I once visited Ms. Mao’s apartment in Chengdu City. Her apartment was neat and clean. In the living room, there was a long banner with the Falun emblem and four Chinese characters: “Falun Turns Constantly.” 

There were three bedrooms in her apartment, one for her parents, one for her son and one for a Buddha Hall. She has lived in the living room since 2012 after she was released from a forced labor camp.

In the solemn Buddha Hall, a big portrait of Master Li (the founder of Falun Gong) was hung in the middle. On one side, it was a drawing of a Falun (law wheel) and the other side was the calligraphy of Falun Gong’s three principles “Truthfulness, Compassion, Forbearance.” There was a copy of On Dafa. All were well framed. The ceiling was painted yellow. The curtain was yellow and the room was decorated with lotus lights. There was a large standing bookcase with five doors for her Falun Gong books. On a big table, there were varieties of fruits. 

The Persecution

Ms. Mao told me that she had served two forced labor camp terms. When she was detained at Sichuan Women’s Forced Labor Camp (also known as Zizhong Women’s Forced Labor Camp or Nanmusi Women’s Forced Labor Camp), the guards tried all means to force her to renounce her faith. They even coerced her mother into the labor camp and made her kneel down to Ms. Mao, which only made her even more determined in upholding her faith. 

After Ms. Mao was released, she explained to her family about Falun Gong and the persecution. Her family all understood how evil the communist regime is and why she wouldn’t give in.

In September 2007, a large number of practitioners were arrested in a police sweep, including Ms. Mao. The police raided her home but found nothing. Then they tried to force her mother, nearly 80 then, to testify against her. The elderly woman resisted the pressure and didn’t comply. Later, Ms. Mao was sentenced to five years in the Sichuan Women’s Prison.

In prison, she spoke up in a meeting attended by hundreds of inmates, against the slanderous propaganda attacking Falun Gong. She was punished by being handcuffed to a wall for several hours and forced to stand still outside of the workshop for several days. The guards tried everything to try to "transform" Ms. Mao but never succeeded. 

Related reports:

Accountant Dies While Serving 11.5 Years for Her Faith

67-Year-Old Woman Arrested for Visiting Friend, Sentenced to 8 Years

The Persecution of Ms. Mao Kun in Chengdu City

Eleven Practitioners Sentenced to Prison in Sichuan Province