(Minghui.org) A woman in Qitaihe City, Heilongjiang Province, was repeatedly beaten and abused by the police after she was arrested for raising awareness about the persecution of her faith in Falun Gong.

Falun Gong, also known as Falun Dafa, is a spiritual discipline based on the principles of Truthfulness, Compassion, and Forbearance that has been persecuted by the communist regime since 1999.

Ms. Zhang Liping, 56, was arrested at a local market on March 11, 2019, after being reported to the police for passing out information about Falun Gong.

During the police interrogation, Ms. Zhang urged the officers to stop participating in the persecution, which didn't have any legal basis. The police said it was their job to persecute Falun Gong practitioners.

When Ms. Zhang refused to reveal her name and address, one officer grabbed her hair and tried to take her picture. She didn't cooperate and was cuffed to a chair. One officer commented that it didn't matter how they tortured Falun Gong practitioners, as long as they didn't torture them to death at the police station.

Ms. Zhang kept telling the police that they should not persecute Falun Gong practitioners as no crime was committed. One officer tightened her handcuffs in retaliation.

In the evening, the police ordered Ms. Zhang to press her fingerprints on a fingerprint scanner. When she refused to do it, they slammed her head against the machine before prying open her fists to collect her fingerprints. They used so much force that she had difficulty breathing and talking and almost fainted.

Unable to walk, she was dragged by six officers into a bathroom and forced to provide a urine sample. When she refused to sign the urine test consent form, she was savagely beaten.

In the middle of the night, the officers took Ms. Zhang to the hospital for a physical. They slapped her in the face and hit her when she didn't cooperate. The police force-fed her unknown drugs after being told that her blood pressure was high.

She was next taken to the local detention center. As she was still too weak to walk, one officer carried her into the cell and instructed the inmates to beat her.

Ms. Zhang continued to deteriorate over the next few days, and her blood pressure went up to 260 mmHg. She was released on bail on March 15. She still had bruises and swellings on her face. She also had difficulty sitting and standing, as her hip and legs were injured.